1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tom Waits

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by EGhart317, May 11, 2011.

1. EGhart317

EGhart317

Oct 5, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone a fan? Listening to the album Swordfishtrombones right now and can't get over how interesting of a musician this guy is. Also, I just looked up today that Larry Taylor from canned heat was this guy's bass player on a few albums.

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I really, really like the stuff from the early years (Closing Time - Heart Attack and Vine). The other stuff, not so much.

3. EGhart317

EGhart317

Oct 5, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    I agree with you there. Nothing beats Closing Time in my mind but it's kinda neat to see how he evolved from that kind of debut album

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The Nighthawks at the Diner "studio live" album has always been a favorite of mine. Jim Hughart's huge-toned and tasteful string bass playing was incredible on this album.

5. NOAH_FX

NOAH_FX

Aug 12, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I love his version of Waltzing Matilda, you really need to keep an open mind to enjoy Tom Waits IMO

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Two drinks and a fun crowd will get you there as well. :D

7. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    I like that one and Raindogs as well

8. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Huge fan here, from his work on Asylum all the way up to the Glitter and Doom live record. Diamonds On My Windshield, Step Right Up, and The Piano Has Been Drinking from the early years to Hoist That Rag in recent years. The Black Rider was a tough listen, though, but it was for a theater piece as were Blood Money and Alice, if I recall correctly.

9. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    3 words:
    Goin Out West

10. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    IMO one the best. His early stuff is fantastic, some of his later stuff took a bit to grow on me, but I like just as well. If you can track it down, his VH1 story tellers program was amazing.

His movies are really worth watching, along with his Fishing with John episode. I'm starting to ramble now, he was on Letterman years back when Mule came out and did a great job on Chocolate Jesus.

11. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    I always hated that dog.

12. First Tom Waits record that I've listened was The Black Rider - got hooked instantly :)
    And YES, his VH-1 Story Tellers was awesome. Quite a fella.

13. Waits is great! Specifically the albums Swordfishtrombones and Blue Valentine.

14. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    +1 StrangerDanger. Bone Machine as a whole, really.

15. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    LOVE Tom Waits. Swordfishtrombones is amazing, as is Small Change. "Step Right Up!"

16. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    "Never could stand that dog."

:p

17. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    LOVE Mssr. Waits. i haven't listened to as much as i should, but every album he's been involved with there's something on there that moves me.

i really dig his approach to playing too.

18. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    D'oh! :bag: :smug:

19. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    What's he building in there?

20. The House Where Nobody Lives from Mule Variations iw one of the saddest things I've ever heard.

Govt. Mule does a great version of Goin' Out West.

I got into Tom with the early stuff and have followed him all the way. I admire artists that challenge themselves and their audience in the process.