Top 2 most important effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassit, Jun 10, 2005.

1. bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    According to a beginner,I am fuzzy with the effects.
    And refer to my heavey alternative music,people told me
    that i have to setup compress and balance at least.
    Is this the top 2 most important effects for a heavey bass?

thanks in advance!
  2. Hey Bassit! Where are you from? Fill out your personal profile and we'll be able to advise you better.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Balance'.

If you play heavy alternative...Audioslave, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, etcetera, then I think you should have a decent overdrive. Folks here swear by the Electro Harmonix Big Muff or the Sansamp Bass Driver D.I. For the most flexibility, I would suggest the Sansamp because it has some Equalization capabilities and can sound compressed, much like a tube amplifier. The Muff is more of a Fuzz, which tends to make your bass sound thin.

The only other effect you might consider is something that will fill out your tone. Perhaps a chorus or an octave effect that will make your bass just sound bigger than it is.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I say the 2 most important is an overdrive/distortion/fuzz of some sort like Mo'Phat said and a modulation pedal of some sort like a flange, phaser, or chorus.

I personally like phaser or flange the best.
  4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have Chorus and Reverb always on.

I'd also rec. a good OD or fuzz. I'm a fan of the Big Muff, as well as Hot Tubes.
  5. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Fulltone Bass Drive
  6. If you mean Metal Heavy, i reccomend a good OD/Distortion (everyone here has a different opinion, so use them as a guide but buy what you like best) and a wah!! i mean, Cliff and Duff and now Rob Trujillo use them, what more reason do you need!
  7. For me, required pedals are the Fulltone Bassdrive, Flange, Compressor.

Not neccesarilly on at all times...
  8. For hard rock or metal, my guess would be that compression & overdrive/distortion would be very useful. I just disconnected my compressor, though, & after realizing how much it was coloring my sound, I'm determined to learn to live without it for awhile. Given all that, you might just as well swap the comp for an envelope filter/chorus/flanger or some other modulation effect.
  9. bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    thanks you all. I will fill my profile as soon as possible.and I am from said 'balance' is mean 'Equalization ' as Mo'Phat had metioned. and fulltone is useful ,too. so all the
    advise to me is usefull,I think I have to try one bye one in
    the shop.
  10. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Envelope Filter and Octaver with my fretted 4s
    Envelope Filter and Chorus with my fretless 5.
  11. Schwalli

May 27, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You don't need any pedals.... but if you were to get 2 buy a good compression pedal and an overdrive.
  12. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I love compression, that's about it. My second choice would be chorus but I no longer use it that much.

I'm not much of an effects guy.
  13. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    I don't use my compressio, just the natural compressed sound I get from my ashdown tube pre in my amps, So i'd recommend disto/od/fuzz and wah/enveloppe
  14. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    is you consider compressor an effect, ill say compressor and some drive
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Tuner is far and away #1. #2 is something else.
  16. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    tuner and compressor - for the pro's

overdrive and chorus/octaver - for the heavy metal cats

chorus and envelope filter - for flea clan or funky cats

wacky backy and some rolling papers - for reggae/ jamaicans cats

herion and cocain - djs, old blues rockers, pro's, pimps etc.
  17. bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    It seems the compressor is nessary, and the second, maybe OD? for I never heard of a chorus/octaver ;-(
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Overdrive and Chorus for me, followed closely by Flanger and Wah.
  19. ...then so is an amplifier.

20. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    for rock: compressor and overdrive