top instrument cable

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by only4him012, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    I've been a long time skeptic of the claims of "boutique cable" makers, but I had a chance to A/B Evidence cables vs. what I considered a reasonably good cable (Mogami w/ Neutrik connectors) at a rehearsal recently and the difference was not entirely subtle. Without over-exagerating, it was pretty noticeable and way beyond what Monster cable does for you, so much that the next day I placed an order. So, I have to agree with vanselus. Evidence Audio makes an excellent product, and I use both the instrument and speaker cables.

I would say that if you've got a great instrument, plus a nice rig and are looking for that extra 5-10% of sound out of your set-up, then try them to see if it makes a difference to you. If not, then put the money into another bass or amplifier or cabinet as this will bring the biggest improvement in your overall sound.

Converted cable skeptic,

Tony

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now, let me get this straight. Is there a limit to the level of exageration that is socially acceptable but beyond which it becomes over-exageration?

4. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    that's correct, .... and as opposed to under-exageration. Very astute on your part.

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    In testing the Evidence Lyric the past few weeks, i've come to detest the monster. I used to use a Monster Performer Bass 500, but in the blind tests we did, there was a significant difference - muddy lows and harsh highs. Now don't get me wrong, the difference is slight, and even if it's purely in my head - at least it's consistent. I'd rather use $5 cables than go back to monster - in fact, the cheap cables sounded more like the sound of the Evidence, just not as refined. In the blind test, I thought the monster was the cheap one :D

One more bonus to Evidence. Tony's a hell of a nice guy, and is very passionate about his work!

6. HardAbz

HardAbz

Nov 4, 2002
    TX
    I've had nothing but "BAD" experiences with PlanetWaves cables for my bass. I've sent back 2 cables in exchange for new ones, and the new ones had problems too.

They buzzed like a damn bumble bee! So they are junk, as far as I'm concerned.

I've tried Monster 500 and Klotz, with no problems at all.

Has anyone tried Procables & Sound?

Hardabz

7. Uh oh, here we go again! I start getting suspicious when I read things like "...the most musical metal known...", "...strand-interaction, the greatest single source of cable distortion...", "...most dynamic frequency response currently available...", "...Hard-cell foam insulation reduces dielectric involvement (distortion caused by the insulation material.)..." :eek:

If you think you might be in danger of believing such garbage then you should read this story:

Emperor's New Clothes

- Wil

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    It may not be worth it.
    It may be a bunch of crap.

However, in the context of this thread:
    Re: Top Instrument Cable
    it's worth a mention.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    IMHO, ordinary, good quality Charlie Brown-type cables made well with good materials are every bit as good as the designer cables. And they're still cheap.

I'll believe the marketing hype when they can back it up with believable tests and data. I won't hold my breath waiting, though.

10. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bob, after reading your consistently cynical responses about how the materials used cannot have any affect on the performance of a product, I'd be nervous about buying a QSC amp. If any cheap crap will work, how good can the QSC amps be?

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Do you intentionally misread my posts?

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    jdombrow, you just compare apples and oranges.

The variables in a cable are significantly smaller than in a highly complex electronic circuit.

A cable is just half a dozen parts, and the most important piece of it (the wire) is always copper, the possible differences are very small there (unless you want to use silver, but even then I doubt you'll find a significant difference), mostly to the degree that they can considered negligible.

13. Nice presumptive jump.
    I'm sure Bob will appreciate it.

14. Jim Dombrowski

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Besides his comments here, I was remembering a comment by Bob Lee in the original power chord discussion where he dismissed the possibility that many components (such as the power supply, filter capacitors, and others) could have any affect on the sound of an amp.

For an engineer, I find his comments rather closed-minded.

jd

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Okay, do you intentionally misunderstand my posts, then?

16. Jim Dombrowski

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm not quite sure how someone can "intentionally misunderstand" something. Perhaps because I disagree, I am reading more into your comments than I should.

Anyway, my comment was out of line, and I apologize.

Jim

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I read the same posts, and that's not what I got out of them. Seems to me, Bob made a rational assessment of the relative magnitudes of the potential effects of various components on the sound. jdombrow is intentionally mischaracterizing Bob's comments to make himself seem smart when, in fact, he's teetering on the edge of trolldom.

Anyway, I'd gladly submit any of my hand-made cables for blind comparison against any boutique brand cables, and bet $100 that there is no statistically significant difference in the sound perceived by "experts" or laymen alike.

BTW, I make my cables with Belden or Canare cable and Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors, which I believe would qualify them as those "ordinary, good quality Charlie Brown-type cables made well with good materials" to which Bob refers.

You cable snobs are exactly the kind of people who believe that crop circles are made by extraterrestrials.

That said, I still use Guardian Fat Max speaker cables, just in case.

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    I'm sure it sounds better to you, Billy (though it may or may not actually sound different), but your assertions about cable, copper, and solder joints are absurd.

Those who are unaware of their susceptibility to placebo effect use magic cables, whether they are average players or not. If you just have average technical knowledge, you might not care to know how cables actually work, but if you're serious about knowing how your instrument and rig work, you should learn about them.

19. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    For the second time inside of a year I have returned a Monster Cable to The Guitar Center for a replacement. If it didn't have the lifetime guarantee, I wouldn't be using it all because it's not durable and I'm not hard on my cables. Pro Co Musicmover that you can get at Sam Ash or GC works just as good with respect to sound and is far more reliable, which is the most important thing when you're on a gig.

20. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I must agree with Bob. This post has some of the most uninformed assumptions that I have ever heard!

To say that a solder joint dries out as it ages is totally insane from a technical point of view. Back up that claim with any proof and I'll eat your bass rig. If you have no idea what you are talking about (and you don't), why not just be quiet?

The question was asked point blank of Long Ly if these artists bought these cables or were they furnished to them at no charge. The question was ignored totally.

Show me ANYWHERE that Nathan East endorses anything that Tara sells. You can't do it!

How do you Know what annealing process is used by any manufacturer? Are you saying that you actually believe that Tara manufactures its own material that's used in thier cable? What difference does it make if the cable is annealed in an oxygen free environment if it's used in an oxygen rich environment?
    I'll bet even money that you have no idea what annealing is.

You are not helping Long Ly at all, so why not confine your posts to something that you have a clue about? Electronics is NOT your strong suit.

Harrell S.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.