top instrument cable

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by only4him012, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    And my point is that if the cables only present to you the illusion of "working" and you look no further, then you get stuck touting stuff that makes no sense, despite how real the situation seems to you. You're right that it is unrelated to my working for QSC.

When I was a little kid used to think that magicians really could make people and inanimate objects float in defiance of gravity. Or make them vanish, despite the fact that matter cannot do such a thing.

I learned since then that it is all illusion. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy magic shows. Quite the opposite; seeing things that defy what my inner mind says is sensible is very entertaining. But I'm entertained, not fooled; I'm sure most who watch such shows are in the same boat, but there may be some true believers who think the illusions are real.

The same thing goes with audio.

2. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    HOO-RAY !Finally there is someone here that's not caught up in this "Brew haha"on a damn instrument cable because as nashvilleBill has mention there really isnt any difference sonically in any of these cables.Granted,some of these cables are of a cheaper(or less exspensive:if you prefer)brand but IMO nither of them were that superior than each other..........By the way I've been using GTC/Sam Ash cables for about 6 years and only 1 of them crapp"out on me and that was do to my own neglegance with that being said I just took it back to the store and traded it out for another one at no cost. So there !.:spit:

3. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Hi,

I personally liked planet waves very much... not so much for its sonic qualities and all the hype about paying so much to have a better sound. but more for its grip on jacks.
    Its 1/4" has another springy like thing that enables it to grip tightly to the guitar or pickup jack.

1) it won't fall off easily and 2) it makes a good contact for jacks that is overworn or loose over years.

i've used it on my realist pickup after it started giving me contact problems. after it, i've never had problems since.

Overall it is durable and easy to handle plus it comes with an innovative cable tie device. definitely worth checking out.

juz my 2 cents worth, :)

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Since you are not electronically inclined, why in the world are you tossing terms and pseudo facts around like you know what you are talking about?

"So, in reality, all the negative comments directed at me go to the above sources from which they directly originated from."

Show me that source. I'll bet you can't.

Show me ONE thing by Mesa or Gibson that backs up ANY claim that Tara makes. That "well known" restoration expert has fed you a line that rivals Taras claims in absurdity. How in the name
    of everything holy can something with a zero moisture content dry out? I don't care how hard you squeeze a lump of solder, you wont get any liquid out of it!

To substantiate any claim by quoting something from a package that a Tara cable was packed in proves nothing.

It makes no difference if copper is annealed oxygen free or not. If it's exposed to oxygen in it's final form it will oxidize. Copper cannot oxidize within its crystaline structure. It can only oxidize on its surfaces that are exposed to oxygen. The inside of a solid copper penny doesn't oxidize, does it?

You are not the only one who is looking forward to the tests although I doubt that any such tests will ever take place.

One ugly fact still remains. Tara has yet to offer one iota of scientific evidence to support thier claims. If any of thier hoopla was the least bit grounded in fact, they would have made a discovery that ranks right up there with the transistor. Believe me, every major electronic manufacturer in the world would be beating down thier doors. Why can't Tara Labs come up with any challengable scientific data to back up thier claims?

Most of us seem to be willing to let the subject rest until the tests. You are the one that is keeping the subject going. Keep making stupid posts like the last couple,though, and someone will challenge your facts.

The reason that I haven't spent my money on a Tara power cable is because I would feel like a total fool for doing so. I know that I can't breathe water. Just because someone says that I can is not enough to make me stick my head underwater and take a deep breath.

Your show of "balls" is admirable. Your apparent lack of real facts is a pity. The more you post, the more I understand why you 'think' you hear the huge difference.

Harrell S.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    All this proves is that you're a sucker for marketing hype. Please refer me to someone at Rivera, Mesa Engineering or any of the others you listed that will support any of your claims.

6. I've been a test subject in ABX tests with high end AC cables (no Tara Labs ones though). Neither myself nor any of the other subjects could tell the difference between the high end stuff and standard IEC cables. This was on a $30000+ prototype hifi system and the tests were run by the guy who designed the system. He paid $1000 for a pair of speaker cables so he's not exactly a skeptic. He thinks the AC cable thing is hooey. Tara labs isn't saying anything different than any other high end cable manufacturer so I don't see their products being any different. Perhaps they are, I'd have to test them to see.
    There have been all kinds of true double blind tests done on cables and the results are always the same.

7. This concept of "internal oxidation that can cause distortion" is about as bogus as...well, as all the other audio snake oil claims. How about some super shellac that makes everything it touches sound better?? Directional cables (last I heard, anything directional in an electrical path would be a rectifier)?? Supports to go under your CD player--"makes the mids more transparent"...???? Green paint on the edges of your CD's??

I saw a TV show on the production of Star Trek. They said that the script writers would come up with a script, but leave blank sections where they would just write "Technobabble". Somebody else would come along and make up scientific-sounding words to fit in the missing blanks. "Captain, the technobabble has gone critical!" And the writers would insert "Dilithium antimatter quantum transponder" Sounds impressive, but meaningless.

The cable salesmen (and other audio snobs)are doing the same thing. "Captain, this is super-annealled!! From ultra-pure Australian copper!!" (I suppose copper from anywhere else must be different, you know they just discovered another element--Australian copper)technobabble

Go to Rod Elliott's web site http://sound.westhost.com/ Read his articles on cables, then read his links. Elliott, Douglas Self, G. Randy Slone, these guys design and test audio amplifiers. They follow the same laws of electricity that I was taught, and they all agree that these cable claims are bogus. Also follow the links to articles on Monster Cables sales tactics...very enlightening...

8. BillyV335

BillyV335

Dec 14, 2003

Nah........Lucky me

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    That pretty much covers it guys. I'm still waiting to hear from Long and the guys on the test package they are sending, I will keep you all informed.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.