1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Totally fake band touring Europe...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pipFunk, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:37 AM.

1. pipFunk

pipFunk

Feb 1, 2005
    This is fascinating... this guy has literally been playing his sold out 'Breaking the World Tour' to empty rooms across UK!

'Fake band' Threatin just played a UK tour to... absolutely no-one - NME

Does anyone have any background on him? Purportedly, he comes from LA. There's Facebook, and Twitter and Merchandise and so on, but no audience. None, zero, nada... on the plus side, he's made the national music press!

Is it an expensive joke? Is it some kind of Spinal Tap spoof? The mind boggles...

dxb, RobertUI, JeffC23 and 5 others like this.
  2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Fake it till you make it ?

3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Probably large amounts of his own (or someone else’s) money thrown at it...

Reminds me of Lights Over Paris guy, who went to jail for defrauding the bank to fund his rock star fantasy.

Wisebass likes this.
  4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    My friends band is touring Europe this year. They paid to get on the tour.

5. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    I imagine this is more common than you think, to some capacity or another.

In business, you lose money for a few years before turning a profit. Whether you sell product at a loss, or sell less product then you estimate in the future, or simply aren’t efficient at the business.

Either way, seems like par for the course for me. I know many don’t consider music a business, but it is, to those who intend to make money with it at least.

knumbskull likes this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    My band will not play in London this weekend!!! (neither in Paris :D) :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Can I have some likes for that? :laugh:

Wise(b)ass

7. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ No likes for you.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

showbiz! :laugh:

JimmyM and Wisebass like this.
  9. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    This is blowing up on Reddit so hopefully some more grisly details might be uncovered :D

Charlzm and pipFunk like this.
  10. pipFunk

pipFunk

Feb 1, 2005
    Yes, I've heard this happens... and bands complain about pay to play in venues! :rollno:

Spectrum and Charlzm like this.
  11. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Not sure why this is newsworthy.

I've been on plenty of bizarre bills where the headliner was clearly a bought-and-paid for deal with 10k+ views/likes/follows etc. who brought 0 bodies through the door. These bands do typically seem to come out of LA.

"poopy LA band bought likes and played for no one" is just another Tuesday night in San Francisco.

Mr_Moo, PWRL, HeavyJazz and 3 others like this.
  12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I believe “Threatin” has to be qualified as a Heavy Metal Spelling, like Trixter, Ratt, etc. This is never a good sign.

13. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Rob Talllll...who, in real life, was rather amusingly all of 5'2" in lifts :roflmao:

To me it's a much more embarrassing story for the banks loan system: this guy was given millions of dollars with zero collateral and a thinly veiled cover.

Literally all a loan officer had to do was Google "Lights Over Paris" to know that there was zero equity in the (at that point, IMAGINARY) band.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    knumbskull likes this.
  14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    That's really not what I would call a fake band. Few make it up the ladder the hard way. I could give examples of bands that started just like this but I would be typing all day.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Just one more manifestation of life during our present era of disinformation, “alt facts,” and deliberate lies.

Why should only big corporations, governments, lobbying groups and attorneys get to have all the fun?

It’s time to democratize BS!!!

Power to the people! :woot:

———

tl:dr - is anyone seriously surprised by any of this?

16. pipFunk

pipFunk

Feb 1, 2005
    lol... as a business, you can speculate to accumulate of course, but lying to the outlets where you intend to sell your wares, for example about how many 'units' you have on pre-order is probably counterproductive, I'd have thought?

The music business, in the UK at least, is pretty much split into 'scene' venues where non-established bands cut their teeth and there are fewer of them every year. They are intimately connected through promoters, tour managers, booking agents and so on, all of whom know each other. All of them will now be aware of what has happened, because it isn't common over here (that's why it has made the music press) and, from what I'm hearing from friends in the business, they're not very impressed with Mr Threatin's 'business model', least of all the venues that have lost money as a result! So that doesn't seem like a win...

I don't think this act will find anyone to book him again in a hurry, nor a band to support... though, honestly, I'm still waiting for it to be revealed as some kind of elaborate hoax, perhaps a vehicle for Sacha Baron Cohen, or something?

Mr_Moo likes this.
  17. pipFunk

pipFunk

Feb 1, 2005

It's newsworthy because London's a lot further from LA than San Fransisco! There's some effort, as well as money, behind this... :laugh:

18. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    ...no band has ever "made it up the ladder" by doing this.

Maybe you didn't read the article, but when you claim $1000+ in advanced ticket sales (which all end up being from fake accounts in Brazil) and $0 walks through the door instead, that's a huge problem.

GregC, Moosehead1966, JeffC23 and 2 others like this.
  19. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    There's a huge difference between paying $500 to "headline" an empty club and paying $500 to play direct support for major band in a sold out show.

JeffC23, J_Bass and bjelkeman like this.
  20. And all the while, I'm still waiting for Dumb As Lawyers to release their first full length CD "Even Wichita Doesn't Want Us".

That was three years ago...