Trading Trace Elliot AH300 12SMX for V-type 300H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Darell, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Darell

Mar 29, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I can sell my Trace elliot AH300 12SMX and buy a Trace Elliot V-type 300H for a good price. My question is; is it worth it? Will the v-type 300H be better then mij AH300 12SMX? I really like the tone of my AH300 12SMX, but I cant get a nice tube sound out of it. Will the v-type sound more tube then my AH300 12SMX? And can I get like a bit of overdrive out of the v-type? I have the idea that you can't get alot of tones out of the v-type, i'm I right or is this bullsh*t?
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, I can give you a fair comparision of the two as I own an RAH350SMX and have played the V-type 300H.

The V has a nice tube tone for being a hybrid. It kills the SMX in that area. However, the V cannot give you that vintage SVT or even V8 grit. It is a rather smooth yet clear sounding amp. For some reason, the word "butter" fits the tone of this amp. :eyebrow: :D

Personally, I really liked the V-type 300H. It doesn't have the versatility that an SMX has but gives you a nice clean tube tone. Power seems to be on par with other TE products and would probably handle any gig your AH300 could.

Bottom line, you need to A/B them and decide for yourself. I want a V-type 300H myself but I won't give up my RAH350SMX to get it! Ofcourse, thats me. You have to decide if it is the right decision for you. Good luck!
  3. Darell

Mar 29, 2005
    The Netherlands
    ok thanks! I cant really A/B them cause there is no shop that has them here and i'm gonna buy it secondhand.
    About the tone; I can get a nice grunty-like tone out of my AH300. Will I be able to get that tone with the V-type? So not overdriven but grunty/growling. I use a Ashdown ABM 410 cab.
  4. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "nice tube sound". I've got a '250SMX and I have no problem getting tube sounds out of it, although it won't go into Marshall type overdrive. In fact, I use the Trace to record clean strat type guitar sounds instead of my all-tube guitar amp because it sounds better.

The suggestions to go try the thing out are probably the best advice. You might find somebody that has one that will let you try it out or even bring your rig over and compare it. There's no shortage of them, so you don't have to be in a hurry about it.
  5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Keep the AH300, since its a solid amp. Sell something else and buy the V300H. Then you'll have two fantasic amps...use one as a backup. I'd sell one of my basses before my trace...thats just me though, If i had really fancy basses it might be a different story.
  6. tobias69

Aug 23, 2005
    I agree, "sell something else" I've had my AH300 for 16 years. Beat the hell out of it and it has never failed me..
  7. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I have the V300H and a V6. I bought the V300H for a backup but I have found it to be a great amp for my "first." It's amazingly warm and punchy for s.s. I attribute that to the V-type preamp and Trace's excellent and conservative power supply for the ss section.

I am a BIG fan of the V6 -- I've owned it for almost 6 years now, and I can't imagine ever replacing it, but the V300 is pretty damn close! And weighs less than half as much!

The V300 will overdrive pretty well. It's a preamp overdrive as opposed to a poweramp tube saturation overdrive. You can really never replace or adequately imitate the sound of power tubes being pushed hard. It's why we "valve-oids" tolerate the inconveniences in the first place. Some folks say that some of these simulators can come close, but I don't agree.

I suppose that I'm waffling here. It's because I know that the V300 won't perfectly imitate a "real" tube amp, but it does give you an amazingly warm, clear, articulate sound that makes this amp unique (imo). It will get "grunty" but probably not exactly like your current amp. They sound different! It will cut through your mix and never sound harsh. It also does low volume gigs amazingly well.

The V300 preamp is a rather quirky fellow. The bass mid and treble interact quite a bit with each other. The bass and treble boost switches are also different than your average. The Mid boost pull-out is amazing. Use with care. This style of preamp can be off-putting to someone used to the regular tone controls and graphic eq. The V-type is a totally different animal -- and I suspect it is one reason why it can be a love-hate relationship. I love it -- but it takes a little time to get used to.

One caveat: The amp is 280 watts into 4 ohms. Is your Ashdown 8?