1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Transcribing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SidMau, Oct 11, 2013.

1. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    Hey everybody! Right now I want to work on transcribing for several reasons. Of course there is the obvious increase in aural skills, which are good both for me as a bassist and for me taking the AP music theory test next summer, but I also feel like thats a big step I need to take in my musicianship to get better.

That being said, what do you guys think would be some easy things to transpose? I was able to pretty much get the first few melody lines of this: , but I don't know what some other good things to transcribe are. I'd like to work on both melodies and bass lines. Any suggestions to help me along? Thanks :bassist:

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    There's usually a smorgasbord of requests in the TAB section of TB here. Stuff you usually wouldn't think to do. So pick one and have at it!

Good luck!

3. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. The first tune I transcribed was Jaco's cover of Donna Lee. That's ambitious, but that's why I chose it. I had just bought a Tascam BT and wanted to try it out. I recommend trying a variety of styles. Transcribe a tune to learn a complicated sixteenth note syncopation. Transcribe another to learn an interesting use of double stops. Country, latin, blues, swing, anything. My real advice is to just keep doing it. The more you doing the easier it gets and the better you get at it. BTW, I've switched to Transcribe software by Seventh String. I recommend this if you're serious about transcribing.

4. bill_banwell

bill_banwell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Transcribe the stuff that you want to be playing or that will challenge you and really test your ears! I started getting into transcribing when i was watching and listening bass player Hadrien Feraud, as his note choice is very different and patterns are bizzare in a great way!

Here is my first transcription of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwD_2IynJM

Took me maaaany hours to work out these phrases, but was very rewarding once completed and my playing definitely went up a notch!

So what I mean is transcribe the music/bass playing that excites you!

5. HCEarwicker

HCEarwicker

Aug 30, 2013
    London UK
    If you're just starting to relate the notated shapes to the pitch and rhythm of the music you're hearing, you'll find it easier to start with some licks from the classical repetoire.

Rhythm presents the greater challenge in notation and the rhythms of classical music tend to be a lot 'straighter' than the syncopations you'll find in much pop/rock/jazz/blues/funk. Also, you won't have a problem finding recordings and scores to check that what you're doing is correct. I'm thinking slow movements by Bach, Haydn, Mozart...

I searched YouTube for 'Bach score' and found this example of what I'm thinking of:

On the other hand, if you can't stand classical music, or if you've already got a soild grasp of notation - ie, if your sight reading is good, go for whatever turns you on :)