1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Traynor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by knigel, Apr 20, 2009.

1. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Hello,

I am an avid reader of this forum, and I find it very useful, but I need some help. Someone is selling what I THINK is a Traynor bass cab from the 70s. It is 2x12s, and one speaker is angled (downwards, or kind of like this on its side: (I hope the format doesn't mess up)

(It totally did. I will spare you.)

Anyway, there are no markings, but the guy bought it with a Traynor bass head. There is only one speaker right now, and it is also unmarked. Does anyone have any ideas? It's only 100 bucks, so I'll probably buy it at least for the cab, but I'm hoping to buy just one speaker, not a pair. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  3. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
  4. i saw this in the boston craigslist yesterday, and was considering buying it!
    i thought it might be traynor.

i think knigel found the link to the same seller's flickr!

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Unfortunately, that cab is from the days when the only guitarists with large amps were Clapton and Townshend. It will be totally lost in today's loud live music situation.

Why spend money for a crapshoot cab that's known to not be in good condition? You'll replace speakers and probably be disappointed.

Not everything old is worth keeping.

6. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Actually, that's my flickr. I just stole the pics to post on this website. I'll probably pass on it and hold out for a real 2x12 cab.

7. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    However, I am pairing it with a 25 dollar GK head to play in small, really crappy clubs in RI, and to use at home in my apartment. Dave from Avatar said he would ship me a pair of Celestions (ummm, they are on ebay. G12k-100?) for under 100. I mean, I'm laid off right now, so the chances of me affording a banging bass rig are nil. Is it IMPOSSIBLE that it will sound okay?

Also, I trust stranger's opinions without question.

I play two 5 string actives, a 1996 American Jazz Bass Deluxe and surprisingly nice sounding Ibanez TR-505, and play mostly walking basslines. So, no on the crappy 2x12?

8. I'd go with "No".

It also doesn't look like any Traynor I've seen.

9. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi knigel.

The rear shot of this mystery cab reveals that it is made of particle board.

I once briefly owned a CBS Fender Bassman 100 with its matching 4X12" cabinet. The amp's head case and cab were both made of particle board. That box buzzed like a bee hive when I played my P-Bass through it at louder volumes.

Particle board, and medium density fiberboard (MDF) are unsuita.., mmm.., CRAP for use in the construction of bass cabs!

In contrast, every Traynor cabinet I've encountered thus far has been made of plywood. :)

Please consider investing your C-note in nothing but a genuine bass box.

Perhaps a local music store's rental dept., or a neighborhood pawn shop would yield a bonafide bass cab for a hundred bucks.

10. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I want to thank everyone for their input. I've decided to go with a Joe's Bass cab, 1x15, which fits the "sounding nice" factor with affordability.

11. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Traynor cabs, back in the day, NEVER used particle board.

12. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Is this a make of bass cab? If so, could you please post a link?

Thanks.

13. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
  14. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Now THIS is a bass cab! :)

Assuming that the one you're getting is still structurally intact, and that it has a half decent driver, it should yield a solid BOOM when driven with even a moderately powered amp. :bassist:

The addition of a home-made dolly would be good too.