1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tri-Logic: the jack of all trades?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubaduba, Feb 6, 2016.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I love the original Xotic (EWS) Tri-Logic preamp. For all of you who have tried the smaller Tri-Logic II and the new Tri-Logic III how do they all compare? The knob configuration on the new vIII seems a bit awkward but aside from that what are the tonal difference (if any)? More gain on hand? Are there any tonal/frequency differences between the II and III?

Lastly, if you had a Tri-Logic and selected another preamp, please do tell why.

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None

I've had the II and am currently using the III, it does have a lot more gain than the II but aside from that and the added EQ flexibility, they sound pretty similar.

3. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    I had a v2. It sounded great but the EQ range felt like it was quite narrow, no noticeable difference between settings. Which may be a good thing because you don't have extreme EQ spots. At some point I sold it to try something else.

I think the main advantage of the v3 is that you can use a 9v adaptor and the voltage is doubled internally. The v2 requires a 18v adaptor.

4. You can run the II on 9v as well. You won't get the full headroom but it still souns great! :)

5. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I actually run my III at 9V, no headroom issues

6. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have the Xotic Tri-Logic (larger box) and had the EWS Tri-Logic II. They sound identical, as far as I could tell.

My preferred 3-band preamp pedal is the Fodera. The Tri-Logic sounds good, but the Fodera sounds better to me.

7. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    The Tri Logic II is a great pedal, I cant run it on my 18v 1000ma adapter though as it whistles when switched on, seems like a common problem, I think I need a transformer type rather than the lightweight switching adapter, BUT on my 9 volt 500mA adapter it runs dead quiet and don`t seem to have any issues with headroom. How long do you people get out of the 2 x 9v batteries ?, I had an Aguilar DB924 which you could only run on batteries and I got nearly a year of regular gigging out of them !

8. It had a nice EQ, but the overdrive wasn't for me at all. It had the SVT/sludgy swamp thing going on.

I found I could get a better tone/money expenditure elsewhere for my needs:)