Trogly unboxes a 2022 Gene Simmons Thunderbird (Gibson content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-Mac, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Like it

33 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. Its Okay

51 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. It growing on me

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Hate it

16 vote(s)
    13.1%
  5. carrots

19 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Looks subdued enough I might consider buying it.

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I like the neck look, the rest is meh IMO and I'm fully on board with virtually any 'Bird now that I have my fave. it seems you can't go wrong with them minus neck variations, most are med-slim.
    ayf'nkm?? edit; $2,700? yes, you can go waaaaay wrong lol

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  3. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

9 votes so far. Let’s keep it going!:hyper:

4. KB5

KB5

Sep 28, 2012
    I love it. I always wanted a bound bird. Routing for binding is much easier to accomplish in a non neck through build hence the set neck of the G2. I'm not a big fan of the mirrored plastics but that's an easy swap. The deal killer for me is the price. It's about $800 more than I would pay.

Thundar, PennyroyalWe and B-Mac like this.
  5. Great looking bass.

B-Mac likes this.
  6. I like just about everything about it.
    Except the price.

B-Mac likes this.
  7. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    I grew into liking my epi t-bird, I like the look of this, and appreciate the fact that it's subdued for a Gene Simmons bass. Still at that price point... I'll just look.

B-Mac likes this.
  8. Ductapeman

Ductapeman Ringmaster and Resident Geriatric Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2016
    The West Pole
    I started life as a drummer, but I got better
    Yeah, I just can't get behind having someone else's name on my instruments. I'll make an exception for Jack Casady for unstated reasons, but otherwise signature-type basses usually have something about them that turns me off. I'm also too old to be much of a fan of Kiss, so there's that. And it really is waaaay too much money.

FLAT EARTH, B-Mac and Starthief like this.
  9. It's okay but the price isn't too appealing for what it is. I'd be far more interested in a Grabber/Ripper reissue, and I think they'd make far more sense as Gene Simmons signature basses seeing as those are the Gibson basses he's most well known for playing.

Roger W, FFEJY, Hummergeist and 2 others like this.
  10. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Without the PG and a price I thought was worth it, it could be a fun bass. The likelihood of me playing one is about zero though.

B-Mac likes this.
  11. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    I've been waiting years for the V's to come back, and all hints are there is one to follow, i hate it's a signature version, but their so danged rare i'm ready

B-Mac likes this.
  12. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    What are the hints saying about the possible specs?

13. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    When I generally find him ok with his Gibson guitar reviews he's off the mark on this one - he even admits to not being a bassist, so meh.

Here's a well know TBer and true expert on Thunderbirds.

This one is also very good as he actually discusses and plays the bass.

DannDubblewe likes this.
  14. B-Mac

Watch Trogly’s unboxing video

15. B-Mac

I like Trogly’s guitar and bass vids because he puts it on the workbench and shows the guts. He plays adequately enough to get an idea what it sounds like. Not really interested in rating someone’s chops.

6-3-2 and Sanshiro like this.
  16. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    I like it. I just never saw Gene using a Tbird. I think a Ripper would have been a better choice for the KISS tribute.

FFEJY and B-Mac like this.
  17. Bass4LifeRS

Bass4LifeRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I think it's a cool Thunderbird, but for me to splurge on a Gene Simmons Gibson Signature bass, i'd have to be something that I identify him with, like the black 'n maple Grabber.
    Gene.jpg

FFEJY and B-Mac like this.
  18. Precisely why I watch him, I like to see the teardown. Most of the time I click off once that part is done but usually his playing is enough to give you an idea about the guitar/bass in question. He'll be the first to tell he's not the best and that's perfectly fine.

B-Mac likes this.
  19. Dluxe

Dluxe Guest

Jan 9, 2011
    It's got to be a straight head Grabber. Screenshot_20210409-143447.png

20. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Me either but he doesn't know much about Thunderbirds, or even their parts.

ajkula66 likes this.