1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tronographic Rusty Box or DHA VT1-EQ Bass Drive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lunatic_Pandora, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Lunatic_Pandora

Lunatic_Pandora

Nov 29, 2007
  2. Never played the EQ version of the DHA, but I am absolutely in love with my standard VT1. It will never leave my board. No experience with the Rusty Box. But I can vouch that DHA provides the thickest, warmest OD I've ever tried.

3. +1 to all big chief said!!!

I just got the standard VT-1 and it's the OD I've been searching for. Nice fat warm natural tube like grind. It's my "leave it on all the time" pedal.

I can imagine the EQ version being that much better!

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW the DHA excels at "vintage" tone, and the Rusty Box was designed for a more modern industrial tone.

5. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    Of the 2 I'd personally go w/the DHA since Mr Hall is a member here and would be easy to get ahold of for any product support. Plus, he seems like a really nice guy and his customers rave about his products. Also, should you decide to go in a different direction later on down the line, the DHA stuff that pops up in the classifieds here usually moves fast.

6. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Those 2 sound SOOOO different. You should listen to some clips and also re-read bongo's post. Once you hear both the choice will be obvious dependign on what kind of sound you're going for.

Re: service, Trono also has great service.

7. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I just took the plunge on the Tronographic, has anybody else here? I saw the youtube vids and I really dig that Industrial/Noise Rock tone. What do other peole who already took the plunge think? The feedback on TB seems to be minimal on this piece.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the slight derail. ;)

8. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I had one briefly late last year, but had to sell it cause' I needed the money. I really wish I didn't have to, as I really liked it. Like yourself, I'm into that "tone" as well for lack of a better description. When I have the cash, I would likely get another one, as it's a great overdrive in addition to a great preamp. The builder is a good guy, and if you go to the forums on http://www.electrical.com/, you will find lots of info and even some history.

I did however, find an old Traynor 120B combo on my local craigslist. It was cheap and in good shape. Basically the same tone as the Rusty Box.

Hope that helps!

9. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I've had mine for a while and have nothing but good things to say. It does what it's supposed to do and does it just right.

10. Lunatic_Pandora

Lunatic_Pandora

Nov 29, 2007
    I understand that the DHA has a more warm, maybe classic sound and the Rusty box a more modern, edgy or sharp sound?

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's the idea. :)

12. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    I have the DHA EQ...it's fantastic. And the DHA crew here in the states take fantastic care of their customers. Top notch outfit over there.

Extras are good too: The headphone amp is nifty and fun, and the DI is decent on it as well. Great little box.

13. Lunatic_Pandora

Lunatic_Pandora

Nov 29, 2007
    Thanks for your opinions!

More?

14. I'm completely in love with my Rusty Box. Alongside my tube head and other dist/od-pedals (Bogdan, Hjärt Müller...) it's definitely a different sound than "standard" tube-y od.

15. I'm thinking of checking out the DHA. I'm getting rid of my DI-EQ to get something with the OD circuit built in...