1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tronographic Rusty Box!?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, Aug 29, 2008.

1. It's been quite a while since anyones been talking about this pedal...is anyone using it? Is it as good as hoped for...?

Aaaaaanyone?

2. i'd be keen to hear some feedback on this one too

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I know one guy who uses one, he tells me it sounds JUST like the bass tone in Shellac's 'Live At Action Park' CD (this pedal was used for the recording I gather). He's also managed to squeeze 13 pedals onto a Pedaltrain Jr, which must be some kind of record!

4. The pedal is supposed to emulate (or...more like it's the same circuit) as the amp used for that album...

This guy not a part of TB I guess? Would be nice to hear his views on the pedal.

And see that board, hehe :)

5. Still noone with sound clips? I am just intrigued by this pedal, keep coming back to the Tronographic website every other day....just to look at the pics.

6. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I have one on order, but I'm not sure when it will arrive exactly. I'll try to post some clips if I have a chance.

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I don't think he uses this site, but he is over at the basschat.co.uk forum. Oh, and I miscounted - it's 14 pedals!

[​IMG]

8. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    wouldn't he need a bypass strip with all that? damn.

9. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    some months ago I talked to shellacs bass player after a show where he used that box and he told me it sounds completely the same as his old amp.

10. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    I still have mine, and still love it, but I don't have any sound clips with it.

Karter 2000, if you decide the pedal isn't for you let me know. I'll take it off your hands. We're (kinda) local to each other.

11. karter2000

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Sure, I'll keep that in mind. I kinda bought it on a whim, as I've been really curious about the Rusty Box since I first heard about it. Plus I love Bob Weston's tone!

12. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Bob Weston's tone is easy to love. :)

Too bad we didn't cross paths sooner, I would've been glad to let you try my rusty box before you bought one. I don't really need another, but I have one of the early demo models, which doesn't have the cool orange and white paint job, which I want.

13. karter2000

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    That's okay...I love spending money that I don't have to try stuff out :):meh:

How would you describe the overall tone (in general)? Does it really change your bass tone, or is it somewhat transparent?

Thanks,

Lyle

14. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I have one and LOVE it. It can sound like Action park, but there are lots more sounds to be had as well. I recorded a clip, I think, but forgot to upload. Sorry. I'll try to get on that. The first one I had was WAY noisy, but I think it was a bad unit, because I swapped it and the new one is not noisy.

15. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    I wouldn't describe it as transparent at all. It has a distinct tone to it, that will either work for you or not, like a sansamp (though it does not sound like a sansamp). I use it in a signal chain with some tube distortion pedals and while it's pretty nasty sounding the Rusty Box adds a great note definition and bite to the sound. You can use it as a preamp, but I just run it as an effect into the front of my DB750 and it still puts a pretty distinct stamp on my tone.

It can do an accurate Shellac sound pretty easy too.

16. i just skipped the pedal and found an old traynor head. the tone from the preamp is killer. I use the head as a pre into my power amp.

if this pedal sounds like my amp does than it is well worth it.

17. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    I´d appreciate it if owners of the pedal could make sound samples, especially with other settings than the shellac bass tone!

18. Sound clips...

Sound clips.

Sound clips?

SOUND CLIPS!!!

19. There you go mikke! Straight from the horse's mouth. So, what keeps you from buying one? ;)

20. So true Peter....now, if they only included a switch that transforms my P-bass into a TB...hmmm.

I was a bit dissapointed by the pedal board pic above though - I kind of wanted the RustyBox to be a bit bigger :D