1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying not to remove the top...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by NickyBass, Apr 19, 2006.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I'm looking at a bass that seems like a great deal, but it needs a bit of work. I just want to get a better idea of what's involved. So...If there are long cracks on the top of the bass (carved top), does the top need to come off to fix them? Or could the patchwork be done through the f holes? The cracks are about an inch or two from the center (on the e string side) and pretty much run the length of the tailpeice. Would this also affect the bass bar? Actually that's really the only major repair. I will take it to my Luthier, but thought that I would ask here before I go through the hassle of picking it up, and driving it all over town. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Getting this instrument "on trial" and taking it to a lutheir for an inspection is THE BEST option for you. Even if you post some pictures (which you should) nothing is better than a live, one-on-one inspection.

3. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Well, I talked to my luthier and we decided that it probably wouldn't be worth it. Actually, with all the repairs it would cost about the same price as if the reapirs were already done. But, I don't need another bass. I just thought that it would be worth fixing up and if I needed to, I could sell it for profit in the future. Oh well.