1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tubes, Mesa Walkabout and an old thomas organ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 311fan, Feb 23, 2008.

1. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    So i have an old tube organ that needs new power tubes. I just bought a walkabout combo and want to mess around with different preamp tubes. I was thinking of pulling some of the preamp tubes from the organ and using them but im not sure how to tell if the tubes are usable or garbage. Anyone got some advice on the situation?

-Mike

2. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Take them to an amp repair place. They should have all the equipment and knowledge needed to help you out.

3. Rufusdewfus

Rufusdewfus

Apr 18, 2003
    canada
    Pre tubes are basically triodes. Different ones have different voltages and you could
    damage your amp using the wrong ones. You can cross reference tubes on line to find
    which are compatible with the ones you want to replace but don't imagine just cause they fit the base, they're the same.

4. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    I guess I should have said that the walkabout uses 2 12ax7 tubes and so does the organ so I should be able to do a switch without any problems right?

Also, has anyone ever heard of " GE Electronic Tubes" or "Realistic Lifetime tubes". Thats what the organ has. Both are USA made and both seem to be working.

5. Having done a whole lot of tube rolling with my Walkabout, feel free to try any 12ax7, 7025, 5751 or ecc83's you come across and figure which one works best for your ears. While there wasn't a huge amount of difference in all of the NOS tubes I tried, I liked a Raytheon 5751 for the v1 slot and a GE 12ax7WA for the v2. You really can't go wrong with your tube choice (provided it is compatible) so long as it isn't dead and you'd know pretty quickly if your pre-amp tube was bad.

6. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Cool. All the tubes i have are working....now I just have switch them around and see what tubes I like where.

7. whizack

whizack

Oct 23, 2007
    +1 on the 5751 + 12AX7 combination.

I have a JAN GE 5751 in v1 and an EHX 12AX7 in v2, sounds amazing in comparison to the stock tubes.