1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuesday 5/10/11

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by jmjbassplayer, May 10, 2011.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Mixing M83, Sound Factory B, Hollywood CA. The second song we have up has over 95 tracks, and it's a relatively "easy" one. Lord have mercy. But it sounds insane. Can hardly contain my pride in this record. In three weeks, it'll all be a wrap. At that point, I'll be so shell-shocked that I'll need to go sit on a mountaintop in a loincloth for three days.

After that, music directing work coming up for Sara Bareilles before her next big batch of touring.

Then I'm playing bass for this big Serge Gainsbourg tribute night at the Hollywood Bowl w/ orchestra & choir. Beck's performing some songs, along with Patton, and a bunch of others. 3 hours long, huge repertoire. Needless to say, that will involve a good 2-3 weeks of preps and rehearsals. Exciting, tho.

Lesse.....I need a vaca.....said that about eighty times this year, so I'll shut up now. Heading to Hawaii in June....what?

Started my midlife crisis early and bought a Lancia Zagato...funny, cheap little quirky Italian car. And a joy to drive and work on. Then I bought a second one for parts, expecting it to be a junker, and it also runs great. I actually have a hobby now...albeit another potentially expensive one. Boo! I need to find a cheap one...birdwatching? Walking?

That's it for now.
    JMJ

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    even birdwatching can get expensive. got to have a camera for birdwatching, and it has to be unobtrusive so the bird doesn't get spooked. and of course, you have to have a khaki shirt and shorts with the safari hat.

the gainsborough gig sounds like a lot of fun. will it be taped for dvd release or tv viewing?

3. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    co-founder, SynapticGroove
    Nice update!

You could always start a 'cloud computing' jam band, co-design a signature pedal, run for pseudopolitical office and monopolize the low end demographic, convince Beck to put out Sea Change II, star in your own hyperreality show, adopt a highway, adopt a driveway, find a driver for your other lancia and recreate The French Connection super-8 style...that's about the extent of my imagination right now. Personally, I'd give whittling a go and when no ones looking, bust out the dremel! : )

4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    +1!!

5. mmmmmmmmm lancia

got any pics justin

6. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    Is there a release date for the new M83? Cant wait to hear it. I hadnt heard of them until you started this project, but I've been listening to some stuff and really digging it.

7. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005

Attached Files:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    sorry...gainsbourg. i spelled it wrong before.

9. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Fun/cool looking cars. Did you grow up doing some work on cars?

10. justin. im proud of you

11. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    :) Thanks mr. McSleazy.

Stingray, I grew up working on my VW bus, not sure if that counts. I had the engine out on a jack within 10 minutes of reading some hippie VW guide, for instance. After that, I lost interest and cared only about music. Now, I need this affliction known as tinkering with crappy Italian cars to redress the lack of insane hobbies in my life. I could always take up cocaine. Might end up being cheaper.

JMJ

12. funny enough i always pictured you a fan of old itallian cars. tbh lancia's arent really alowed to be sold in the uk new anymore because of the beta. its verry unlikely to see them. hell i went to a classic car show 2 weeks ago and out of 1000 cars there was 1 lancia and it was a stratos.

but good to see i can not only talk to you about puppets and pedals but old cars too
    :)

13. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
  14. kevbass5

kevbass5

Jan 18, 2008
    forget about coke and italian cars....i think it's time you got your faberge egg collection together, justin.

15. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    OMG yes. Faberge eggs, Tiffany lamps, IWC watches, etc. etc. I could go dark like some freaky people I know in the biz and get into Masonic/Nazi memorabilia. But I think the thing I really should do is get into the stolen art market. Even better: Egyptian antiquities. And by that I mean I should just have a pharaoh's sarcophagus in my foyer.

JMJ

16. You might know my friend, he has the sickest Nazi Faberge reissue.

But seriously, I'd be happy if the next Beck video was a mock of Antique Roadshow.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    either that or a KISS coffin.

18. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Me too---that's where I go overboard and spend waaayyy too much! I LOVE to cook--I think I was more obsessed/crazy when having my kitchen remodeled than when I had my studio built.

19. kevbass5

kevbass5

Jan 18, 2008
    yeah i feel you J. i was thinking about picking up a new sarcophagus or two, but sh*t i don't even use the ones i have.