twinjet's first gig w/new band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by twinjet, Sep 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Hey guys and gals. Here's a brief tale of a cool new venture of mine.

Started playing for a folk band by the name of Blackwater Railroad Company, a band based out of Seward, AK. Last night we performed at the 2017 Seward Music and Arts Festival. This was my first time playing with this group and at this event.

The band consists of several pieces: two guitars, bass, mandolin, violin, banjo, and vocals/percussion. Last night was the first time playing with the vocalists in the band. Distance and scheduling prevents us from all meeting at the same time, so knowing your stuff is a must!

I got the gig about a month ago and was given CDs to study with. We had four practices that focused on the instrumental part of the band while the vocalists practice on their own out of town. Work and life has doubled its claim on my schedule, so I'm incredibly proud that things came out so great. The instrumentals were tight, vocals on point and the music was HOT! The audience loved us. We also got bonus points because Blackwater seems to be Seward's hometown band -- a huge plus.

Pictures below.

20170922_210458.jpg
    The '89 L-2000 took the gig.

20170922_210216.jpg
    Set up.

IMG_9869.jpg
    Blurry iPhone picture. Courtesy of Mrs twinjet.

20170922_214524.jpg
    Crowd view.

20170922_213732.jpg
    Crowd view #2. I hated that fog machine.

Video clip:

Thanks for looking!

PS: For those wondering, my bass face changes from :bored: and :sour: to :) or :woot: on a regular basis. I'm simply ultra-focused on serving the music. I had a blast, I swear!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  2. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That looks like a great turnout! Perfect way to get started with a new (to you) band. Congrats!

Son of Wobble, BBQisgood and twinjet like this.
  3. Cool gig. Glad it went well. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

BBQisgood likes this.
  4. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Sounds like a great show...glad it went so well.

BBQisgood and BurnOut like this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Great stuff! Cool instrumentation. Nice crowd in a nice big room. Congrats on hooking up with a successful band.

Thanks for the report :thumbsup:

6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. @twinjet,

Wow! Nice big hall, huge crowd, concert-class PA system, well-rehearsed ensemble killing it! I'm stoked for you! :)

I don't recognize your amp head. SWR? I do recognize your amp stand. I used to have one just like it. ;)

Way to knock it off the chassis! Thanks for sharing!

(I'll have to listen to the video later when I'm in front of a real computer.)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

7. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    The netting in Mrs. Twinjet's blurry iPhone picture naturally put me in mind of chicken-wire, bob's country bunker, and beer bottles flying. But I'll pull myself out of that trope and say looks like a good time, and other than the solid bass and amplifiers, looks a lot like the group of folks I play with (though vocals are not so much at present.) Well, like many of us might have looked 20 years ago, anyway...or 30, or 40...

twinjet likes this.
  8. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Looks like a great gig with a great band. Enjoy the new band and keep posting reports!

Mark

twinjet likes this.
  9. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks, everyone!

Hey Cliff, thanks for the kind words. Amp head was an Ashdown 300. It was the festival backline. I had a GK MB210-II in my trunk in case no ampage was supplied.

Please do check out the clip! It's kinda neat, in my opinion.

BassCliff likes this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Awesome, @twinjet! Looks like a good time was had by all! If you get the chance, maybe post the video up straight, instead of via FB...

... I'm still using 'MySpace'...

:roflmao::D:D:roflmao::laugh::laugh::laugh:!

11. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    I don't know how to so that, unfortunately. I couldn't get a link without the Facebook redirect. I believe it was uploaded to that site is why.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Looks like a blast. Cool!

13. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

You guys got energy! Sounds good. Drat, I wish we could've heard the whole song. The crowd was into you. Very cool.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

pjbassist likes this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Great start. When is the next gig?

twinjet and btmpancake like this.
  15. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    Nice. You sound really good. The bass is on point.

twinjet likes this.
  16. Looks like it was fun!

On a side note, it amazes how different TB users look from what I picture them...

(FYI, I do NOT look anything like Capt. Kirk)

Gaolee and pjbassist like this.
  17. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Should I be worried or flattered? :D
    Appreciate that!
    Thanks, friend. It's in the works, possible duo stuff for now. Whole band is looking to finish an EP and record more CDs over winter. March-September 2018 will be the busy season, with consistent work every weekend and the occasional tour.
    Thanks! Before joining, I thought they had good stage presence, but last night their energy levels went nuclear. It was insane. I think the vid was just a clip, no full-length video was taken. Too bad, I'd love to see it too.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    pjbassist and BassCliff like this.
  18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    BassCliff likes this.
  19. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
  20. Congratulations! Look forward to catching the 2018 tour!

Son of Wobble and Sore Thumb like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021