1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Twisted neck on a vintage bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ZacManDew, Oct 12, 2017.

1. ZacManDew

ZacManDew

Oct 12, 2017
    IMG_20171011_213947.jpg I have an old tiesco tellastar bass that has a twisted neck. Finding a replacement neck has been tricky since the heel of the neck is narrower than even a standard short scale neck (under 2.25in) IMG_20171012_211642.jpg , while the scale is 32in. I found some guitar necks that fit in the neck pocket but I'd figure that even if it would fit that the neck would be too short and the strings wouldn't have enough tension. If the the bass is beyond repair, so be it, but I'd like to make it operational if possible

2. ZacManDew

ZacManDew

Oct 12, 2017
  3. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Another option: find a luthier who might fix the twist. I know it is not that easy and cheap but possible.

4. ZacManDew

ZacManDew

Oct 12, 2017
    Would it be possible to widen the pocket so I could fit another neck in?

RSBBass likes this.
  5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Those old Tiesco basses have neat charm to them. They are kind of weird feeling and sounding, but that's the coolness. I think that's a worthwhile project to put some time and money into. Unfortunately, many of their necks warped badly over time. They were cheaply made.

It's highly unlikely that you'll find any off the shelf replacement neck to fit it. You have a couple of choices:

1.) Most competent Luthiers could rebuild the existing neck for you. Depending on how bad the twist is, it may just need some corrective routing and a new fingerboard. That's probably a $250-$350 job.

2.) If you can find an aftermarket neck with the right scale length and a Fender-ish headstock, you can probably modify it into a pretty close replica of the original. It isn't very difficult at all to trim a neck narrower at the heel, or along the whole length if needed. It can be done without harming the frets. It's usually less work to trim a neck narrower, than it is to rout the neck pocket wider. If you are interested in trying that work yourself, we can talk you through it. Or a good Luthier can do it for you.

3.) You can have Warmoth or a Luthier make up a new replica neck, matching the original but higher quality. That's likely to cost $500, including the paint. That would give you a better-than-new weird old bass.

ZacManDew likes this.
  7. ZacManDew

ZacManDew

Oct 12, 2017
    I emailed some local luthiers few hours ago to get a quote, but the 2nd option seems more appealing since I'm kind of a cheapskate. If I could make the bass a 30in scale instead of a 32in while I'm at it that would be cool

8. I would talk to dude at warpedneck.com

ZacManDew likes this.
  9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Is it one of Teisco's laminated necks using many thin laminations?

10. ZacManDew

ZacManDew

Oct 12, 2017
    I'm not sure, it's the original neck

11. I came across this place when needing a neck repair once... never used them but you might try popping them an email and see what they say FIX AN INSTRUMENT'S WARPED NECK