1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two amps are better than one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doctor Intrepid, Jul 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Question for the TB community. I have a project in mind, and will spare you the details, but one question I have to make it work is as follows. Can you increase your volume by using more than one amp, or is increasing wattage the only was to increase volume? For example, can I increase my volume by adding a second 50 watt amp or is it best to just replace the 50 watt with a 100 watt?

The numbers are not my actual concern at this point, so no responses such as 'you need 500 watts'. I just want to know whether one can increase volume via adding amps instead of adding watts?

2. If you are talking about using 2 combo amps, or 2 amps with their own cabs, then yes it will work.

If you are trying to run 2 amps into the same cab, then NO it will not work, and will likely destroy one or both of your amps.

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Mostly yes. You might not actually increase the dB of your SPL, but you will be moving more air and have greater dispersion. As an example, take a pair of Rumble 100 combos. Each individual combo has a maximum SPL output. Slaving one off the other does not double your SPL, but it does double the amount of air moved and the total dispersion of sound. Psychoacoustically it will sound much louder when in fact it may be exactly the same dB of sound pressure level.

Ed Byrnes and Doctor Intrepid like this.
  4. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Some great answers already. Thank you! And, for sure, not two heads into one cab!

Linnin and Bass_Pounder like this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You can also add speakers to get more volume (and more watts) out of the same amp, up to the max ohm load your amp is rated for, if you haven't already done that.

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  6. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Add amp and speakers, IMO.

GScxaEb.

7. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Is that your practice amp?

8. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I use this rig to get even with the neighbors.

9. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Some odd replies here: If you have 2 4x10s receiving 100W each from two 100W amplifiers, how is the net result going to be any different from 2 4x10s receiving 100W each from one 200W amplifier?

Ed Byrnes and plav1959 like this.
  10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Add a second stacked identical speaker cabinet if you want more volume.

With two amps, you can have phase issues unless they are the same model. With side by side cabs you can have sound wave interference problems.