Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two Hurricanes in Two Weeks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rumblejohn, Sep 1, 2004.

1. I'm starting to think somebody up there is out to get me or something. This storm is going to be a whole lot stronger than Charlie. We still have standing water in the neighborhood, and Frances is moving much slower, which will dump even more rain ( they're expecting as much as 20") winds will be stronger too. I have to admit that I'm a bit worried about Frances, and I've lived here for over 50 yrs.
    Wish us Florida TBers luck we are going to need it.

John

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Big John -

It's actually Frances. ;)

I'm a bit concerned about it myself. All we can do is watch and hope it turns north and goes out in the mid-Atlantic to peter out on it's own.

:(

All FL TBer's keep checkin' in, let us know you're ok.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good luck all.

4. Gard, correction noted. Make sure you guys take no chances with you personal safety, but if you get an opportunity protect the store inventory, especially the Dinwalls and Elricks.

With concern and wishes well, John

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    John -

We're doin' a bit of rearranging of the higher end toys today, then just playing "wait & see" with the rest of the state.

I'm planning on heading out west to my grandmother's near Clermont tomorrow afternoon, unless the storm does something totally off the wall and goes elsewhere. Gotta make sure the grandma is OK!

I'll check in as time and opportunity permits.

Stay dry, and keep your roof on! :eek:

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    This might delay the delivery of my Valenti.

Im pissed.

7. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    This is delaying my trip to Miami to get my DB so I can start taking lessons up here at FSU...

I'm really pissed.

8. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Looks like it might go further south than we though.. (for those of us in NE orlando (winter springs). But man, this things is just going to be bashing us for soo long. Charley was only 6 hrs and this one could go up to 20!

y'all stay safe and dry out there..

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Yeah, that's what's buggin' me about this one, the speed it's moving at is VERY slow....too long in one place with that hurricane force wind.

fiebru, you ain't far from me, I live in Altamonte Springs, the shop is in Casselberry/Fern Park, have you been in??? If not, you gotta stop by, if we're still here after the storm!

10. definitely gonna delay the delivery of my G&L so i'm really pissed too, but i got of school so i'm happy. but there's a huge frickin' hurricane headed right for us so i'm pissed. i'm so confused.

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I was talking with my mom today when I got out of class. She was telling me that Dick Fletcher was saying this stupid things going to exit somewhere in W. Pasco county. Im kind of a flat earther on this one because of Charlie, but they started closing schools again in the Bay area and taking all precautions again.

Im tellin ya. Someone in Florida aint livin right for this crap to be happening.

BTW, Ive been away from the TV/Radio all day, can any of you tell me what the speed and wind velocity of this one is?

12. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Hey there.. I've been in a couple times.. mostly in-and-out. I get intimidated as hell in that place LOL. But no, I've been in more recently. I just started lessons with Dave. I'll say 'sup next time!

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Oh, cool! You should have let me know you were a fellow TBer man! No need to be intimidated man, we're all bassists! I wasn't in the last Saturday Dave taught, but should be the next one. Good move studying with him, he's a monster, hm?

Keep your head down!

14. I'm pissed, Ozzfest got cancelled, the UM-FSU game got move to friday which i have a gig to go to. and the Fed Ex guy didn't even bother to deliver a package for me. There is no gas in most stations and the ones that do have gas there are line a for blocks. I think Miami will get the outer edge of the storm. But this was the super bad timing. But ultimately I hope every one is safe and makes it thru.

15. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

I just finished boarding up my house with my dad. We've been outside since 9am measuring windows, cutting wood, realizing we screwed up, remeasuring, cutting the wood again, bolting it down and painting it so it doesn't warp from the water. I loathe the sun.

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, i went from gainesville to tampa last night. my parents went from port st. lucie to tampa. we're all at my bro's apartment near USF.

18. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Heres something to think about.

Im doing a phase II excavation in claremont all last week and Im rooming with a guy at the holiday inn express. When I find out that another hurricane is going to possibly hit the east side of orlando where my girlfriend is, or cocoa where my 60-year old parents are, I start to get worried.

Meanwhile my new roommate is very blasé and indifferent at the whole situation. Turns out he's from North Carolina - rode out 6 hurricanes and was in the eye of 3. Talk about old hat. I think it was Dennis that hit and came back and hit again. Now that sucks.

Heres a cool link where you can see the hurricanes (Frances and othersfrom this year, last year and years past). The site is set up well

Click Here
    And then click the "storm tracker" link found near the top center of the page under the headline.

19. I'd rarther have a hurricane than an earthquake any day.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Rocking' the Port St. Lucie like the Scorpions.

Was gonna go to Ozzfestivus with my little brother... ixnay on that, as it seems. We were kinda hoping it'd keep going, and then the Scorpions would show up, and play "Rock you like a hurricane" during a hurricane.