Two new basses, but which one to keep?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheFantod, Mar 22, 2011.

1. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    [​IMG]

Two Squire VM Jazz Basses. The one on the left is the "new" 2011 VM Jazz Bass. The one on the right is the "older" version.

I can't decide which one to keep! I've been A/B-ing them back & forth all night. My fingers hurt 'cause they both have brand new strings. They both sound pretty much identical.

The "older" version had a bow in the neck and fret buzz, (it was used) but I've taken care of it.

I swear the newer one feels "smoother" in fretting hand. Could that be possible?

The electronics are (supposedly) identical. The only other main difference (besides the fretboard) is the body material. The older version is Soft Maple, and the newer version is Basswood.

Any help here guys? Just looking for opinions/hints/tests that will really help me decide which one to keep.

I think I'm going to try the "blind" test. I'm going to close my eyes and have someone hand me one of them, than the other one. That way I'm judging just with my hands & ears. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance...

2. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    I find it odd my choose in no way shape or form affects me personally. Yet I still don't know which one to choose. You are offically in a pickle. -_-

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sell both and get a G&L Tribute L2000 :)

4. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    The older one (right side) appeals to me more. Then again if it were me, I would sell both and get a P Bass Deluxe ,just one and you'd never look back. :cool:

5. Tommorichards

Tommorichards

Mar 22, 2011
    Id put the tort PG on the older one, and keep that one. I thinks its cos i love the neck

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Why not keep 'em both?

7. +1

8. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lawyer and Hobbist Bass Maker
    I agree with this in principal. If you can't decide and absolutely can only keep one, then sell both and get something even better. But if I were in your shoes, I would keep both and have the rosewood bass turned into a fretless. Have a guitar repair and restoration shop pull the frets, fill it with some maple fret lines, and seal the board with a nice lacquer or poly finish.

That way you'll have two distinctly different basses and can use them both without feeling guilty.

9. Send them both to me and I will send back the one I think you should keep.

10. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I would keep the all maple one. I find tey have a bit better of a growl if that is your thing. I know it's mine. I was going to say keep em both, but I hate basswood, just hate it. I would rather agathis or poplar over that basswood stuff IMO

11. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

Is there a particular issue thats preventing you from keeping them both? if not they look pretty good together.

12. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    Looks like the choice between Maple and Rosewood, Block and Dot and Tort and Black.

I like the Maple and Block, the Tort and the more visibile grain on the Basswood. Hahaha. Time to break out that screw driver.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'd swap necks, then keep the one on the left, if I were "forced" to decide in such a fashion. Otherwise, I'd sell both and get something else.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    i'd keep the sunburst.

15. JasonKain

JasonKain

Nov 24, 2008
    Keep the maple neck. I'm a sucker for blocks.

16. They are both cheap basses, unless you need a bit of money for something else keep both!

17. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    I'd keep the one on the left. I just don't like maple with black blocks.
    :ninja:

18. Agree! Exactly what I was going to say.

19. Magic Sam

Magic Sam

Nov 1, 2008
    Block inlays vs. No Block Inlays?
    The winner has to be the "old" one with the maple fretboard! Just exchange the knobs (and the pickguard, maybe) and you´ll have a beautiful JB.
    Or you sell both and buy a G&L. :D:D

20. Yodhan

Yodhan

Dec 10, 2007
    Seeing that I have a bass that looks just like the old one with the maple neck, I am going to side with that bass. I am not a huge fan or tort on them, as I prefer the black, but that one is up to you.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021