1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Pickups?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ChopsMcGee, Oct 13, 2006.

1. ChopsMcGee

ChopsMcGee

Jul 5, 2005
    Miami, FL
    I recently acquired an Acoustic Image Contra II with Ext Cab here on talkbass (thanks Chris!), and absolutely love it. The problem I'm having seems to be coming from my pickup. I'm currently playing through a Revolution Solo I sans pre-amp, and want to add another pickup and preamp, but I'm not exactly sure which setup would give me the most flexibility. The bottom end from my Rev is great, gets a good growl, but the upper range is just too tinny for my taste, and I want a more full sound. If anyone could point me in the right direction as far as preamps and two pickups are concerned, I'd be one happy camper.

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Operating two pickups in tandem is a "phase" crapshoot. Perhaps it would be more efficient to address why your RS-I sounds tinny. There is a chance the problem could be alleviated by the pre-amp. The RS-I is not picky about imput impedance and the AI is plenty high. The RS-II is even less picky. My recommendation would be to find the single pickup that works for you. I've always gotten really fine results from the RS pickups but basses and details of pickup-fitting do vary.

3. ChopsMcGee

ChopsMcGee

Jul 5, 2005
    Miami, FL
    Well then, which preamp should I go for to start testing? And the smaller, the better.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Right now I'm using a DTAR Solstice to blend both an Rev. Solo and a Dyn-B. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting. It's not "
    "realistically" accurate, but in some ways it sounds better than my acoustic sound. Loud, bassy, lots of definition, lots of growl, attack, and very natural. There's still some subtle factors, such as environment, cab location, controls/knows, feedback control that I'm still exploring but pretty much I'm done looking. :hyper:

The combined sound is better than any single pickup I've ever used. I tried an ATM35 and this kills the it too.

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i use 2 pickups all the time with no problem. you could solve any potential phase problems by getting a preamp with a phase switch.. the fishman pro platinum has one, and the raven labs has one , and the solstice probably has one.

6. Gornick

Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I have found the Rev to be very weak on the G string, almost to the point of not cutting through at all. You could look at adding a mic to the mix, a Shure sm58 wrapped in a towell and stuck in the tailpeice is a cheap route to go. with a preamp/blender you could blend the mic and Rev quite nicely and get a better balence. Just another alternative.

7. Gornick

Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I agree with the Ravens Lab, tho they are not producing any more you could pick one up used.

8. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Yup, solstice has it on each channel.

9. pnewsom

pnewsom

Oct 16, 2006
    I've been using two pick-ups with my Coda and it works great. I run an Underwood throught the pre-amp, and add a Schertler Stat-B with it's own little pre-amp into the effects return on the same strip.
    The Stat-B provides a very stout fundamental and bottom-end, while the Underwood is great for the upper mids. I send the DI to the PA board, and use the Coda mostly for stage sound.

10. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Stat-B and an Underwood? Cool. I get highs/lows with the RS, and mids from the Dyn-B. THe Dyn-B is the "seasoning" i add to the sound to make it good. :)

11. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    What about adding a mic? I use a k&k right between the bridge feel. AMT is great too though considerably more expensive. Either will add 'air' and complexity to your sound.

12. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Nope-- this assumes they're either in or out of phase dy 180 degrees and that the phase difference does not vary as a function of frequency.