Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two problems, maybe the pickups? Help plz!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jazzman23, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Jazzman23

Jazzman23

Dec 23, 2005
    Hey all,

Im a relative bass newbie and I recently picked up a nice Godin Freeway 4 to replace my Squire.

My problem is that whenever i play hard or aggresive on the E string, i always get this pop or break sound. Its almost as if my amp or pickups or something can't handle it and is overloaded. Im really not sure whats going on. This happens almost always when im playing slap, thumb striking the E string. I'll hear a loud popping sound (not the good slap popping sound) come out of my amp. This shouldnt be! I'm definetly not hitting or plucking the string too hard.

Oh and also, when I'm playing hard or aggresive on the E string, I also sometimes get a big burst of sound through my amp. Like, I'll be playing the E string, and it'll sound fine, but then if I pull of a hard hammer-on or slide I'll get this loud, unsettling, almost distorted "burp" out of my amp. I think it might be called "farting".

AND, when i play unplugged, I can often hear this rattling or vibrating coming from my guitar, I'm fairly certain its coming from the pickups. Specifically the P pups (I think....its the pups closest to the fretboard).

Could this be a problem with my pickups? The amp? Or something on my bass? As I said before, I have a Godin Freeway 4 bass, and my pickups are the stock Godin P and J pickups. Whats the deal with all these problems?!

Thanks a lot for any input.

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    It sounds like your pickups are too high, and the E string, at least, is striking the pole pieces when you play hard. RE buzzing, check the neck relief and action height as well . . . . but if you dig that hard, it could be the pickup is too close as well. For what it is worth, on passive pickups, closer is not better - when too close the magnetic fields will dampen the string, and give a really odd, overly harmonic sound, with minimal sustain.

- Tim

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    What Tim said...

- georgestrings

4. Jazzman23

Jazzman23

Dec 23, 2005
    yea that would make a lot of sense to me, I knew it was a pickup problem. To lower them, its just a simple matter of tightening the screws holding them in place, so that they're further into the body, right?

thx