1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two String Questions - Help A N00b Out!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PipeRain, Oct 19, 2013.

1. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

Dec 4, 2012
    I am looking at various strings and can't seem to get a couple questions sorted out in my head, so I'm turning to the experts.

1) How does core diameter as a percentage of overall string diameter effect the string as far as tone and feel go?

2) What difference does a hexagonal core versus round core make (All else being equal) in a string?

Thanks for your input, and yes I speak fluent snark so have at it!

2. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Less core/smaller core generally means a more flexible string. It's said that a larger core means more fundamental----But my favorite Stainless strings right now are Dean Markley Helix HD strings (which have a smaller hex core) and are some of the warmest, deepest speaking steels I've used.

generally speaking, hex core strings will be less flexible, but also sound a bit fuller.

3. PipeRain

Dec 4, 2012
    Thanks Toptube!

I grabbed a set of Helix Nickel plates for one of my basses, looking for a warmer tone than the usual GHS Contact Cores I dearly love, but without losing the clarity and definition. At first I was sorta disappointed but now, six months later, I am sorta warming up to them. This is rather strange for me since I rarely let a set of strings go 90 days without changing.

Again, thank you for the answers.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    In general, a round core string will sound much fuller and be more flexible because it vibrates easier/more than a hex core string. Again, that's in general.

I pretty much use nothing but round core strings from Fodera and DR anymore. I just love the feel. It's hard to explain. When pulling on a hex core string it just feels like it stops hard at it's limit while a round core has some flex and bounce. If that makes any sense :)

5. PipeRain

Dec 4, 2012
    It does make sense. Thanks for the input mmbongo! I've got a new bass coming in a couple weeks and exploring different string options for it.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    www.bassstringsonline.com is your friend :)

7. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I haven't used the Nickel plated Helix strings. Sounds like maybe you like "dead" strings!

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
  9. PipeRain

Dec 4, 2012