Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Type of Fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by nw basser, Mar 6, 2006.

1. nw basser

nw basser

Mar 6, 2006
    Is there a name for the type of fingerboard Daxun Zhang and Edgar Meyer have on their basses. By the type of fingerboard i mean the ones that have an extension for the G string like the one pictured below. I'm really fond of my bass and would rather replace the fingerboard than search for a new bass but don't really know how to begin searching for a shop that could do this or where i could get a fingerboard so i could have a shop replace mine, if you can even get them new.

[​IMG]

Anyways, the reason for me looking for one of these is because i've just started Massenet : "Meditation" From Thaïs and since i'm studying at northwestern next year (daxun plays it an octave above everyone else) i need more fingerboard to get the high notes.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Most luthiers should be able to graft on a piece of ebony to give you the range desired.

3. About a year ago I asked Edgar about his. I was told that it was done by someone in the Robertson's shop in NM. He also added that it was all but useless to him, he plays everything up there from the side much like closing a harmonic but with more force (I still can't figure out how he pulls that one off). His was a whole new fingerboard, but as Jeff stated, it can be done by grafting (somewhere on the forum is a photo of just such a graph that i did for a client that was daring enought to let me try).

4. nw basser

nw basser

Mar 6, 2006
    thanks guys, yeah i can play like 95% of the notes up there like closed harmonics...but it's just much easier to play when you have a finger board, for me at least.

5. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Dan Hachez did Edgar's. I don't think he is doing any repair work now. My experience with a longer board is that it cut a lot of sound out and muffled my bass. Mine went to a high g above the usual d at the end of the board, and was not an extension, just a regular really long fingerboard. I eventually had it cut down.