1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

U.S. Peavey Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    My G bass was not NOS and in an aftermarket case but is pristine. I paid about $450 delivered. The red is nice.

2. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I don’t want to replace it right now. I was just curious as to what other pickups might fit if I decided to change it later. The sound has been pretty impressive so far.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  3. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    mech and JEDI BASS like this.
  4. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    It’s gorgeous!!!

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Folks, only my minty 1st Gen Fury have I contemplated replacing the slant SF pickup BUT i haven't even replaced the strings yet, plus really, its only the noise of one SF pickup that is bothersome.

HELP me with string choice on this 1st Gen Fury!!

I like Fender 9050 SS Flats (as do many others if you search around the internet) and this is what is on my 85 Foundation and 89 Fury (w Duncan vintage P pickup).

Not sure what gauge either as the 1st Gen has the rare beefy P style neck profile, i would prefer 9050 Flat lights i think.....

JEDI BASS likes this.
  6. Runnerman

Mar 14, 2011
    Mine is silent....so I'm not sure what your issue is there. Maybe something amiss.
    I have Chromes on mine and it sounds phenomenal. Have gigged several times and always get great complements on the sound. I have the Fenders (mediums though) on my Patriot (also silent btw) and they also sound quite good but I prefer the Chromes I think.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  7. And gone! :(

8. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Here's a weird question I hope you all can tolerate:

I have a T-45. Which current and/or popular bass models (from any company) are going to have similar output in terms of electrical characteristics and/or tone? I'm shopping for an amp and it'd be handy to know what I can pull off the wall at the Guitar Center (or wherever) to try an amp, and know it'll be in the ballpark of what I'll be playing at home.

9. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Take your T-45 with you.

mech and blip like this.
  10. Runnerman

Mar 14, 2011
    How about a G&L L1000 or L2000 with the neck pickup soloed. The L2000 in a Tribute version would be the most likely to find in stock at GC.

11. DaDo625

DaDo625 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Would he need to hang a sock full of nickels from the treble horn to get the full effect?

12. Runnerman

Mar 14, 2011
    Hahaha! I was just trying to be helpful.

13. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    The world thinks that only Peavey Ts. weigh 10+ pounds. My Classic Ray weighs more than some of my Ts and I have a US Lakland 5er that weighs more too.

But, it is a funny joke! :D

mech likes this.
  14. My T20-FL is actually a pretty light bass. Not all Peaveys were boat anchors :smug:

JEDI BASS likes this.
  15. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Yeah, I weighed my T-45 at 11 pounds. I play at home, sitting down. So the weight doesn't matter a whole lot, until it starts cutting off circulation in my leg.

Anyway -- The G&Ls sound like solid suggestions. Is there a way to ensure they're in passive mode, short of pulling the battery when the clerks aren't watching?

16. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    My white T-40 isn't bad, but apparently the painted ones didn't have the heavy ash bodies. My burst one makes me cry for my mommy when I pick it up.

ATLbassist likes this.
  17. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    If I wasn't taking my RB45 in (I made one out of a 84 Ibanez RB630 with a T45 pickup and electronics), I would just grab a P bass, any old standard, run of the mill P bass. It's output and such is in the ballpark of a T45 in humbucking mode. If you want to emulate the single coil mode, grab a J bass and solo the neck pickup.
    I feel that the L1000/L2000 in passive mode would be waaaay hotter in output. MFDs are no joke!

18. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    This Rudy Sarzo monstrosity I got is getting better by the minute. One of the tuners broke while I was changing the strings...

The plan currently is to take it to a Luthier friend to go over and tell me if it is worth putting in the time and money to rescue it. The truss rod works, but it needs to be tightened almost to the max to get the neck close to a normal relief while in tension (with strings). With frets it might work... maybe. If nothing else helps, there's of course the option of replacing the fretboard, trussrod and also adding graphite rods if needed. We'll see. I kinda want to rescue this bass from extinction, because in it's own way it's pretty cool. It just needs some TLC...

19. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Try adding about 1/8" of washers under the nut. This will get you 4 more full turns of adjustment. Washers need a 3/16" hole in the center.

jmlee, JEDI BASS and BassikLee like this.
  20. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    63123C66-8A3E-4595-936D-1A920AF41565. I’ve searched my butt off, with no luck! Can someone message me exactly how to wire this pot for series/parallel on my foundation please? Someday I will buy the books and educate myself. But for now, I need a “complete idiot’s” schematic please. I want to use the push/pull as the neck volume control. Thanks!