1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

U.S. Peavey Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Cool......a SF is a single coil pickup, i know some will be more silent than others but its not as quiet as my 85 Foundation with both pickups on...always a bit of hum with any single SF in my experience but nothing drastic unless i stack pedals.

Of course dirty power will make hum worse with any single coil.

Runnerman likes this.
  2. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I may have found a schematic that will help. But I have a question. Why do the SFs have 3 wires, when jazz p’ups have 2?

3. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Coil hot, coil ground and shield. The silver shield is connected to the magnetic assembly and copper tape around the coil to ground them separately from from the coil ground. This means the shield and pickup parts it grounds are not in the signal path and is why the Super Ferrites are the quietest passive single coil you'll find, IMO. Jazz PUs are noisy because the magnetics aren't grounded and the coil is not shielded.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    jmlee, blip, DaDo625 and 2 others like this.
  4. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Its a great design the SF pickup!

bigtone23 likes this.
  5. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    So true! It’s my favorite single coil bass pickup!

Shawn Luckman likes this.
  6. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    played all 3 of mine today

that super ferrite won the day for me

bigtone23 likes this.
  7. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Thanks for the tip, we'll have to look into that. I left the bass to be checked yesterday, and I'll hear at some point if it still is salvageable.

jmlee and mech like this.
  8. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    If you have the truss nut off lube it's inside threads and it's base that sits on the washers with a small amount of Vaseline. Don't put any on the threads of the rod as it would be forced out when the nut is put on and may get on the wood at the bottom of the pocket. Most of these 40 year old truss rods have rust under the nut and that causes binding and broken truss rods.

jmlee and Runnerman like this.
  9. Would graphite powder work as well? I need to do this to a few projects in the fall and I'd rather not worry about anything getting on the wood.

10. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Graphite powder would lube but won't stop or prevent rust. I get a little ball of Vaseline on a toothpick and work it into the nut threads then put the nut on a 10-32 bolt to spread it out, smear a taste on the base of the nut and wipe most of it off before threading back on the truss rod. Tip...use a #2 Phillips screwdriver to start the nut. Put the tip in the hole in the nut at an angle and with a little pressure it will grab enough to turn the nut but not damage threads.

Runnerman and bigtone23 like this.
  11. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I used this exact same pot on my Forum Plus for series/paralleling the split coil P pickup and series/paralleled my Foundation with another brand of pot. If I was adept at using a drawing program, I would make a Foundation/CTS P/P specific diagram. Since I'm not, I'll try to coach ya through it. :)
    Firstly, I used this diagram:
    84d54debeb244ddb3e1ba8666ee40ae3-.
    The trick/confusion with the Foundation is making note of which color is hot and ground on each pickup (since they reverse). Mech addressed this. On my 84 & 85 Foundtions, the black is hot and red goes to ground on the neck pickup, and red is hot and black is ground on the bridge pickup. The plain wires all go to ground, too. I assume that is the standard wiring for Super Ferrites. Given that, and by looking at the above diagram, just reverse the colors for the neck pickup on the diagram. (Double check on your Foundation by noting which color wire goes to the middle tab of it's respective volume pot.)

Now that the pickup wire colors are sorted, the trick with the CTS pot is that you have to translate the switch's wiring diagram to the row of solder through-holes just under the pot tabs. They are all labeled correctly, just refer to the actual switch terminals for reference and then solder the wire in the appropriate through-hole. For example, you would have to put a jumper across solder holes 1 & 3, neck ground (red wire) to C1, bridge hot (red wire) to C2, the continuation of the neck's (red) ground wire from 2 to a pot casing/ground and tab 4 is the continuation of the bridge hot (red wire) to the bridge volume pot.
    It's kind of a pain to have to translate the wiring, but worth it. The push/pull CTS pot is really nice, and soldering to those through holes vs directly to the switch tabs is a little less dummy proof when it comes to ruining the switch from too much heat.

I played 2 of mine yesterday (the Dyna and the Forum Plus) and played my T45 tribute Ibanez the day before. Gotta say, the Super Ferrites nearly always win the day!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  12. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks Bigtone !!!

bigtone23 likes this.
  13. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I picked up a trio of basses on Sunday. No Peavey stuff this time. Why post about it here? Well, I'm glad you asked. The one bass of the trio that caught my eye was a Chinese Ric copy. Five piece neck thru, etc. Plays great, looks close enough to get the point across. Pickups aren't the greatest. Enter eBay and a set of SF pickups from either a foundation or a dyna. Pickups will be here this week. I'll post pics, after the surgery

14. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    2A5FF827-34F7-4F6D-9FF0-20EA97940834. 88AD272F-575C-4F33-B576-754CF966BDB8. Just picked up the last of 3 Peaveys I bought from Ken R and got a pleasant surprise.... active pickups!! I had no clue!

15. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Well, well! Now about that foil job...

Make-Ahead-Breakfast-Sandwiches-Prep-5.

16. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nice! Looking forward to the result. SFs are gonna rock the Ric!

Nice! They are great sounding.
    I personally like the cleaner look of the Foundation S Active more than the passive Foundation S. The passive has those kinda clunky pickup rings.

JEDI BASS and Tom McClintock like this.
  17. Tom McClintock

Tom McClintock

Jan 18, 2015
    DFW
    none
    Active is where it's at ;)

20180220_115015_adjusted.

18. The Foil Bandit strikes again! Must have been the same guy that did mine.
    xIjyMEnl.
    Maybe it's a Foundation S thing? :laugh:

mech and JEDI BASS like this.
  19. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Well, at least they didn’t lay off the guy who made the sandwiches in the cafeteria at Peavey!:smug:

JEDI BASS likes this.
  20. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    So that’s why there was some mustard in the control cavity!

Runnerman likes this.