1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

U.S. Peavey Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Had to share this my 40 dollar dumpster fury resto is getting totally out of hand....can't wait....

Attached Files:

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    It is a shame that this Millennium 5 has been damaged the way it has. I've spent some time playing it and it is a killer bass. I've owned a lot of expensive basses including Spector USA, Ken Smith, Roscoe and Lull and this Peavey stands tall in that crowd.

I played the Millennium for a while this morning and was lamenting the fact that I am going to send it back (but will look for another in better condition). The bass plays great but it does need the neck shimmed as the bridge saddles are as low as they will go. Just to make me feel better I got out my like new Cirrus 5 and played it for a while. Gee, that is a fantastic bass too. I love the narrow neck and close string spacing. It feels like driving a very responsive sports car.

I contacted Reverb this morning and the seller will have to pay for return shipping. I'm betting he will want to fight over that. He still insists the bass has no wear on it. The neck PU even has grooves worn in it from the B string hitting it and there are probably 30 dents and dings on the body and too many scratches on the back of the neck to count. I wonder what this guy's car looks like?

Let me know if you spot a Millennium 5 in great shape with a pau ferro fingerboard.

3. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Mint to me means it’s newer than the new basses hanging at guitar center. I can play one a few times a month for a few years, polish the frets, clean and polish the bass, etc etc, and it will be practically new. Any signs that it’s not in near new condition get noted in the listing. So far, every buyer has been thrilled, and I’ve sold probably close to 50 basses. All that said, I do not care if a bass has some dings, as long as it’s represented accurately.

If that bass sounds amazing like you say, keep it and get the seller to make things right monetarily, for the misleading listing and communication.

4. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The seller would have to refund $200 to me for me to keep this one. At that price, it would be too good a bass to pass up in spite of the damage. I will say there is no bass in my collection as beat up as this one. My $199 Foundation 5 is dinged up pretty good but less than this bass. It amazes me that when confronted with his dishonesty he continues to claim I am wrong in my estimation of a bass I have in my possession. We'll see how this goes. I need to get some better photos of the damage and today is not a great day to do that since it is cold and windy. I'll give it a day or so and try to get good photos in natural light before proceeding.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  5. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Looks like Reverb is going to take care of me. They are contacting the seller to have him send a return label to me. They say I will receive a full refund so the seller is going to eat the shipping cost in both directions.

It is cold out today but I managed to get some decent photos showing the wear/damage.

Cliff Colton, richntiff, mech and 2 others like this.
  6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Ive seen several guitars with very clean appearances in terms of scratches, dings BUT other major issues with necks and frets, electronics.

This is one reason i refuse to sell online for the most part....i take pride in my setups and fret dress and consider the neck to be at least 70% of any guitar, but 'cosmetic flaws' fall down the list for me more than some, though i have several that are pretty clean overall.

My 90's Foundation 5er has a LOT of belt buckling which turned out to be a win win as the pawn shop thought it 'worn out' though the neck and frets showed very little wear or issues....stupid cheap too....stupid cheap.

MCF likes this.
  7. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    My 1997 Ibanez SR800 black w RW board had a bit of bridge corrosion and belt buckling and rated 'fair' by GC....yet another steal on my part, cleaned the bridge entirely for about half of what i have seen similar SR800 sell for which were not any cleaner overall except the belt buckling.....neck near very good to excellent.

Again, imho, the neck overall is crucial and in my case lighter weight is very important.....i mean Fender does 'aged guitars' for a premium so a MORE ACCURATE thorough description is required imo.....some folks accept dings as 'normal' i guess!

8. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I only buy used guitars/basses through Craigslist or Facebook marketplace so I can see/try the instrument before buying. I never used Reverb but I've bought two guitars over the years on Ebay that were both disappointing. I thought I learned my lesson the first time but tried again and got bit. I'll NEVER do it again.

Guitar Center is different as they will ship to your store and have a good return policy. But I've never done it. I've also bought from MusicGoRound with some success. I will call the store and ask specific questions and get extra pics which they are usually helpful and willing to do.

9. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have bought hundreds of basses off the internet and have only been burned a few times. Most guys are great to deal with and many of my favorite and pristine basses were bought off TalkBass, Reverb and Ebay.

10. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm happy for you....I'm just not willing to take the risk.

11. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Nice work!

Mark Andrew likes this.
  12. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well the guy who lied about the bass I bought on Reverb has denied my return request so next week Reverb will be involved in resolving the dispute. I've already notified PayPal just in case Reverb fails to get this made right.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  13. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Has he never heard the phrase ‘you don’t mess with Texas’?

mb94952 and JEDI BASS like this.
  14. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Also...... if your payment chain is "Me" > Credit Card > Paypal > Reverb User...

The credit card company will normally toss their fraud attorneys at it... Reverb doesn't want this

15. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Fury vs Fender

So this is purely an opinion post.. I'm probably wrong.

I was asked to play a gig last night with an American Fender Precision (normally sits in storage .. in the fender world it's a unicorn bass... I bought it to be as close to a Fury as possible - I've owned about 50 of them)

Observations...
    • Fender Volume and Tone really don't do anything. Volume = on/off.. tone is for looks only
    • USA Fender took 3.5 hours of filing to just get the frets playable
    • Peavey had a more solid pickup
    • Peavey had better hardware
    • Peavey cost 15% of what the Fender did
    • Peavey finish is tons more durable to scratching
    • Fender is missing microtilt option.
    • Fender was way cheaper (and easier) to buy replacement parts
    • Fender has more neck dive
    Fury Notes
    • Pickup - if your pickup develops a rattle... commonly i'ts the brittle glue that needs to be reset on the pickup underside
    • Hardware... there were different configuations of hardware
    • retrofit replacement parts are available... takes a ton of sleuth work to figure out what's a direct bolt on
    • Dorked Fury -- Out of the 1000 or so USA peaveys I've setup... Fury (and some Foundation) are the most likely to have a dorked neck from neglect or abuse - I'd always request a reasonable return policy if mail order

mb94952, JEDI BASS and mech like this.
  16. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I’ve recently sold two “used” US Laklands for over $2500 each, and a T-40 that the new owner talked about on TB and spoke very highly of me as well. I take pride in my basses, my transactions, my feedback ratings, and most importantly my reputation of honesty. The 2nd Lakland I sold was listed here and on reverb. It’s new owner knew a friend of mine and got word of the kind of person I am, and sent me full asking price without any protection... friends and family PayPal. I didn’t ask and actually called the buyer to tell him it wasn’t safe to do that. That’s when he said he got word on me from my friend, and refused to send the money any other way. Needless to say, I did not steal his $2800, and he’s thrilled with his bass.

I also received a bass recently that the seller had issues getting his bank to accept the PayPal funds. He shipped quick, I already had the bass, sold via Facebook, before he found out the bank was going to refund my payment to me. I sent a money order to the guy, and tossed in a few extra bucks cause he’d given me a great deal. And, I also knew how afraid the poor guy was, wondering if I’d screw him over.

Some people can be trusted fully. I have made friends through these transactions and still have their cell numbers. I occasionally check in and talk bass with them. :)

MCF, mb94952 and Cliff Colton like this.
  17. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS

Duh, so you're saying the Fender was inferior to the Peavey ? Gee, what a surprise...

mech likes this.
  18. I'm probably one of the biggest fury fans around but that must have been one banged up or poorly made precision looking at your observations or an amazing fury. I started on a USA P bass and for me a T40 and a Dyna match and in some aspects exceed the P. However I have never had fury that has blown a fender P out of the water quite like that :). For me being an entry level bass the Furys I've had (only the later models) didn't have the build quality that came close to a good fender P (what can you expect from the pricepoint) but for me where they excel and why I love them is what they achieve for what you pay. Sound great super lazy quick neck(if it's not gone banana) rock on whilst saving your back and not having to worry about out of house vintage guitar insurance for the fender.... Can't wait to get mine back from the shop. Oh and it's not red bull that gives you wings...... See profile photo.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    MCF, JEDI BASS and kodiakblair like this.
  19. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    Make sure you document the packing to send it back. Have someone video you packing it so the seller can't claim the damage was caused by your packing. Don't tell the seller about the video of the packing, unless he claims the damage is your fault.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  20. I'm by no means a big fan of Fender but the "Fury vs Fender" ?

As @Mark Andrew says Furys are value for money and that's their charm. The charm really only counts if you're a Peavey fan,IMO they rely on the "fan" part more the later the build.

3rd gen Furys are real budget basses,can't see one outdoing even a dog of a Fender. I like thick neck/single coil P-basses but there's no way my 1st gen Fury comes close to my Fender Japan Paisley,nor does the 2nd gen.

MNAirHead and JEDI BASS like this.