1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

U.S. Peavey Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    There is some quality/mojo/variation within Fender and Peavey lines, but once the early to mid 90s kicked in, the low to mid line Peaveys were not made as well, relative to the 80s versions, IMHO.

My 84 Foundation, 85 Dyna Bass and 85 Foundation Fretless just needed a cleaning, restring and a quick and effortless set up to get them to perform to my spec on my string choice. They performed flawlessly ever since. I don't have to adjust anything on these, ever. I would easily compare these to any US Fender I own and love. They are well built and don't require much to perform at their best.

My 93 Foundation, 94 Forum Plus and even the 87 Patriot (to a lessor extent) needed a lot more detailed set up and tweaking to get them to play right. This included some fret leveling. These all need small adjustments to the truss rod every few months and are more comparable to a Squier Classic Vibe/Vintage Modified/pre 2013 MIM. Nice instruments for sure, but need more attention to be great.

2. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    So, 6 months later I am still crazy in love with my B-Quad 4. Now I am thinking about a less expensive backup - USA Peavey with a slim neck, a pair of VFLs and active EQ. I should be looking for an Axcelerator Plus, right? I should mention that I don't get along with basswood, poplar or other soft wood bodies. Did Peavey ever make anything else that would meet my needs?

Thanks!

3. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Peavey Forum would also do the job.

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I enjoy your reply

It isnt custom shop... I own it for the "must play a p"... Took testing 200 to find a worthy one to start

A while back someone asked for a comparison

Thank you
    GV has dual pickups.. G has single
    Axcellerator
    Dyna (some)
    Cirrus
    Some may say Millenium

mb94952 likes this.
  5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I believe the Axcelerator used poplar bodies, so that would count that model out. Ditto the G-bass, which has a basswood body. I can't imagine what the problem is. Poplar and basswood are perfectly acceptable tonewoods.

What you want is a Rudy Sarzo Signature Bass. You get the 3-band active EQ, active/passive switch, and VFL pickups. In addition you get neck-through body construction, ash body wings, and premium hardware. Note that you want the 1990's Sarzo bass, not the Asian-made Sarzo Cirrus Peavey sells now. (although Peavey made a Sarzo Cirrus in the US for a short time, but those are rare and expensive). The 90's era Sarzo bass was Peavey's premier bass at the time. It's a fantastic instrument.

sarzo bass.

9mmMike and Shawn Luckman like this.
  6. mech likes this.
  7. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    kodiakblair likes this.
  8. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    I would look for a Peavey Dyna-Bass

Mark Andrew likes this.
  9. It would be the "wide aperture" bit that got you. VFLs have the wide aperture thing too :)

Like yourself,I can't see the issue with basswood or poplar either.

smcd likes this.
  10. Page 666......does Stevie ditch his Fender and switch to Peavey now after reading the comparison.....? :)

kodiakblair likes this.
  11. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Yes, my dislike of poplar and absolute disdain of basswood is ridiculous to most. To each his own.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

-E

12. MNAirHead

I'd guess not... I didn't ... Just silly enough gigging side man to understand that there's a ton of bad reputation that must be accounted for....

bigtone23 and Mark Andrew like this.
  13. MNAirHead

I'm concerned that we may be leading you down a wrong path.

What do you like about the BQuad? Neck? Piezos? Sound? Sustain? Body fit?

My apprehension is that examples like an Axcellerator are in a different direction than a BQuad.... If you like the punch/sustain/compressed sound/feel of a Bquad --- some of the basses listed as potential candidates are not going to be close.

I gig an Axcellerator every Sunday. It took me a bunch of time to find a way to get the neck reasonably flat... the right strings and then the quest for the correct compressor. To the sound crew, it's now "close enough" to my Quantum. My opinion is that an Axcellerator is kind of like 1/2 way beetween a Cirrus and JBass.

Apologies... in my fast reply, I may have mislead you.

If it helps you, I do have live deck recordings of an Axcellerator

kodiakblair likes this.
  14. MNAirHead

Fury Neck - Heads up.

There's a local guy selling a partsocaster bass with a Fury Neck (later rounded generation)... looks to have hardware

He's asking $40 for it ... PM me if you're in need... I'm more than willing to make the connection and/or mail it.

51675121_10212962244321158_8114770291185418240_n.?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.

MCF, jmlee and mesaplayer83 like this.
  15. This was a pivotal moment.....:) IMG-20190212-WA0001.

16. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    There's no need to apologize, but thank you.

"punch/sustain/compressed sound/feel" <-- yep, that describes a B-Quad perfectly but I am not foolish enough to think that a bass that sells for 80% less and is made from completely different materials would sound or feel anything like the B-Quad. I was just looking for something in the same basic sonic territory but with a super-slim neck. I figured something with similar pickups and neck shape was a good place to start but your post scares me a little. However, I am just looking for something to drag to practice which is in a very small room with terrible acoustics, so an Axcellerator might be fine for that mission. I'll be honest, I like the way they look too and when @mech posts a pic of his sunburst Plus, it's the only time I find myself drooling at anything in that price-range.

Much appreciated.
    -E

mech likes this.
  17. MNAirHead

My modulus flea is closer than any peavey

----

For reference... here's a deck recording

Axcellerator 5/High Beams > Shure wireless > boss tuner > botique compressor > mxr m80 (both tone and some distortion turned on)

I play through a line array with subs - IEM and DI so the recording may not be right through ear buds etc

No bustin on my bad playing

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  18. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Of course it is, LOL! I was looking at Quantums and Fleas but there were 3 things that led me to buying the B-Quad instead. Price, the availability of a good one, and the tighter the string spacing at the nut, the more comfortable I am (crushed my left wrist in a motorcycle accident when I was a teen, now arthritic). I was surprised to find such a difference between a Modulus and a B-Quad. Not only is the nut on the Modulus a little wider, the strings are spaced as wide as possible whereas the B-Quad is all scrunched up which suits me much better. Again, this is probably a non-issue to most but for me it's the difference between playing three sets comfortably or being in agony after an hour.

widths.

----

Thanks for that. Interesting, but a lot more compression and distortion than I generally go for.

Even if it was bad, which it's not, who would do that? Hey, it's been 40 years of amateur bands for me. It's just a hobby for me and I like it that way.

Again, thanks much!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    JEDI BASS likes this.
  19. Ooh er... I knew those T40 tuners would come in handy.....

Attached Files:

20. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969 Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    Hey everyone, I'm trying to track down a sunburst T-45 that I had modded with a Darkstar pickup that I sold years ago. I would love to get it back. If anyone has this please PM me. Pics provided, and of the serial number.

Thanks!

Attached Files: