1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

U.S. Peavey Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
  2. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    A practically unplayed Zodiac BXP with a gig bag for $120. Should I snag it? I don’t need another bass (of course LOL). Looks like some oxidation on some screws and that the chrome needs cleaning. I can check it out in person later this week. 46444A3B-0C58-448D-89C3-249954454335.jpeg AE758CBD-705E-410E-9263-A4A3AF6B899B.jpeg BD43CE7D-831A-405F-8C24-97F03B94C2D7.jpeg

Giffro likes this.
  3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas

I have been playing it and an early Foundation and both sound great. Very punchy and the Palaedium can get a very round tone similar to a P bass.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  4. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Looks like a nice bass, the question is, do you need another PJ Bass?

5. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Nope. But, I never “need” another bass. I still haven’t played many of my basses with my band, or even set them up yet :-/

drumsnbass likes this.
  6. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I suggest you find some wild oddball pickup combo you've never tried before, that is more likely to give you the jolt you crave.:)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    JEDI BASS likes this.
  7. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Solid pickup. That bag is probably worth $60, used to have one like it. Giggable quality, but doubt it will move ahead of your favorites.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  8. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    My kinda thinking LOL. Maybe some big pole Ulyate pickups.

58kites likes this.
  9. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Mine is scheduled for Thursday also!

mb94952 and Raw N Low like this.
  10. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    :(My Cirrus remains "Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility."

11. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Man sorry to hear it's still stuck in that loop. Hope it all resolves and we have 3 NBD's on the same day here!

Giffro, Raw N Low and JEDI BASS like this.
  12. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I’ve probably had hmmmm 250+ music related transactions via eBay, TB, Reverb, and a few on FB. One seller misrepresented on a $35 purchase, years ago... minor thing. Another bass got sent to the wrong address and made its way back to the seller. So, that’s less than 1%. I would recommend that you dive in and don’t hesitate to purchase online using a protected payment method like PayPal.

TinIndian likes this.
  13. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I am still confident that USPS will eventually deliver the Cirrus to me. It is sitting in a corner somewhere because someone is to lazy to pick the big package up and put it on a truck or airplane.

I am actually not too bummed out about it. I've been down this road before and I am happy you guys are getting basses this week. I will just have to play one of my other Peavey basses until that Claro Walnut 6 arrives.

I played last night with a group that is led by pianist John Sheridan who was with Jim Cullum until he died. I am now the bassist in that band and play unamplified upright bass. After the gig one of the young and excellent trumpet/cornet players around town who was in the audience sent me this message on Facebook Messenger "Chuck! It was an absolute pleasure getting to hear you this evening! You sounded amazing as always. I always learn so much from your playing. Take care! Hope to see you again soon!"

This, of course, pleased me greatly however I am wondering what he could possibly learn from my playing.

Here is a sample of John Sheridan's playing:

JEDI BASS likes this.
  14. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    I really like the design of the Zodiac bass and I wish Peavey would have made it during the USA production years. The cowpokish pickguard, P-J setup and Jazz control plate. Very cool.

invalidprotocol and JEDI BASS like this.
  15. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I slept on that J-84 (loosely based on the Zodiac) that was posted on Ebay, and somewhat regret not buying it. For being a collector grade instrument that is built in the US, the price was very affordable. However, I'm trying to get away from buying things I'm not going to play and would have gigged it.

Looks like the fretboard may have been ebony and the overall construction looks good.

tindrum and JEDI BASS like this.
  16. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have looked for the concentric knobs for the Peavey stacked controls that use 1/4" and 1/8" pots shafts. The knobs I prefer are the aluminum knobs as used by Pedulla and Sadowsky but all the concentric knobs I have been able to find in the past were for metric pot shafts. Today I finally found the knobs....in Germany. That is crazy because Germany has been on the metric system forever. Anyway, they were not cheap but I ordered some and will put a set on my TL-5 when they arrive. Photos after I get them on the bass. This is still cheaper than having the gold original knobs replated.

JEDI BASS, mb94952 and Raw N Low like this.
  17. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    This has been my 'struggle.' My favorite Peaveys are the non T series 80s models, and they are stupid affordable. It's hard to not just buy a <$400 instrument just to see if it's marginally better than the one you already have.
    IF I wasn't trying to keep the numbers down to the main players AND the wife would allow it, I would most certainly have a huge, redundant collection of Foundations, Furys, Dynabasses, Patriots, etc... in a lot of colors and many modded with unique electronics and such. I already have a Peavey problem as it is with 6 basses and I really only play 3 of them.

JEDI BASS, TinIndian and Raw N Low like this.
  18. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    There is a 90's Peavey Foundation with VFL's in my area for $250, and it's clean as a whistle. I'm struggling not to buy it but, I can't justify it because it's not a need. It's jet black with a rosewood board. It's about 30 miles from my location and the seller is willing to meet me halfway.

It's tough.

EDIT: It's nothing fancy but, looks like a solid instrument.

7827418_6953487894002532352_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ohc=BCJkkr4L3fQAX-cv1KA&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    bigtone23, Shawn Luckman and mb94952 like this.
  19. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Anybody here have any experience with the Peavey Tube Sweetner? Are they worth it and do they really 'warm up' your signal?

20. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    It's nice when you find one close and the other person is willing to meet halfway. I bought a blue Foundation and drove from Austin to just outside of Houston (2 hours) to buy it. When I sold the same bass I had to drive 60 miles south to just outside San Antonio to sell it. No halfway on either of those transactions.

TinIndian and Raw N Low like this.