Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultimate bass rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seansbrew, Apr 22, 2005.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    O.K. I am looking at about $2,600.01 for my new bass rig and am looking for some advice. Please dont give me that it all depends on what you like ****. I want something that will do it all! whether I want to funk some little punk up, or rock gods balls off. Give me your best suggestion for a one cab, 1 head combo. I play a Modululs Q 5 and a Fender American P bass deluxe. Remember, a One head and one cab combo, ok.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Mesa Big Block 750 + Schroeder 3101212.

Ray

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Lets see, amps:
    Mesa Big Block or Bass 400+
    Sunn 300T (Fender Bassman Pro 300)
    GK 2001

Cabs:
    Aguilar GS 412 (Or two 2x12's)
    Schroeder 3101212 or two 21012's.
    Mesa/Boogie 1516BE
    EBS 212 or 412.

Just my opinions.. I'm a tube sort of guy, and find that amps like the Mesa 400+ and Sunn 300T are more versatile than what people give them credit for. They're clean, loud and articulate, yet all tube.

EDIT: Didn't refresh this page for a little bit...
    Why on earth does Mesa 'suck'?

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Dude, you can't have 1 amp to do everything. I recommend tubes for rock, a pre+power amp or maybe a GK for higher end Carvin for jazz and slap, and maybe an Eden hybrid for everything in between. You can't find one rig to do it all, even for $2600. Maybe if you had $7500, you could get a rack with a DB 728 (or 2 :bassist: ) and a Crown 4000 watt power amp with about $2000 (or more) worth of preamps and effects, all running through 2 Schroeder 310212 chained up to 2 Aggie 412s. Now, that would be the untimate rig. Of course, you would have to get another morgage. Time to call Ditech ;)
    For the most versitle rig, go with a Sunn 300T (which is the same as the modern Fender Bassman 300T head) through a Aggie 412 or Schroeder 310212.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    PFffffFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFfftTTTTTTTTTTttttttttt! My amp does it all. It can even crush small animals! Muahah! Seriously though, the sansamp RBI is magical.

6. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Now that's what I'm talking about, Maybe I have to buy two rigs? Right now I have 2 Ampeg BXT 4x10 cabs and one Ampeg SVT 4 pro cab.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Mkay here goes:
    Rig one- for anything but metal rock or blues pretty much:
    Crown 4000 watt power amp or QSC 5000 watt power amp (lets get plenty of headroom :smug: ) or some power amp with at least about 1200 watts if you don't wana spend so much money. For a preamp you have to just try out a ton of em at a music shop. For a cab get a Schroeder 310212. That should be able to run most gigs even without PA support. If you want something lighter, get the same cab with a Walter Woods 1200 watter.
    Rig 2- for metal rock and blues
    If you want to spend a ton get an Aggie DB-728 before they stop selling em (or a Demeter tube power amp), and again get your choice of a preamp. For an all in one head, go with your choice of the Sunn/Fender 300T/Bassman Pro 300, the Mesa Boogie 400+, Ampeg SVT-II, Eden VT-300, a used Trace V-6 or V8 (no longer in production), or a used SVT origional (also not in production). For cabs run 2 Aggie 412s or 2 Bergie 610s or a Bergie 610 and 215, or some combination of cabs listed (yes I know thats a ton of volume, but this is of course the ultimate rig).

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I would get 2 Ampeg or Swr 8x10's and 2 Ampeg SVT4 Pro's, or something like that:D.

9. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    To all, I am not trying it sound like a jerk, it just comes naturally, but seriously, I have never had a rig that had everything I want in sound and don't know if it is even possible. So I thought I would post a thread to see what you all had to say, :) .

10. Its like this:

db659 preamp split into two qsc3402 each powering a separate Acme LowB4 and a El Whappo Grande! BOOYA!!!

11. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    On topic, the big Schroeder cabs (and the little ones, for that matter) have been getting great reviews. I've never played through one, though, so I cannot say yay or nay. Personally, I'd go with an Epifani UL310 (used is always cheaper and when you're dealing with Epifani, you want cheaper) and an Eden WP100 + power amp of your choice. This might be more than your $2600.01 if you buy new, but if you buy used it should fall well under that mark.

12. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I knew you guys wern't really wearing skirts, I am tired of lugging these 120 lb. cabs around ( two of them) and want just one 1 ( super ultimate cab) that will get the job done. I have to say, I am also tired of the svt 4 pro and would like something lighter. So cmon, how about 3 thousand dollars, what reallly works ( one cab, one head).

13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    There isn't one to do it all. But if you want lighter. Maybe a TF 550, iAmp 800, WW Ultra or something similar with 1 or 2 schroeder cabs or Aguilar/Epi/Accugroove 12's Whappo's.. whatever?

14. Everybody just calm down...he has $3000.00 and isn't afraid to use it!!! I'm surprised that you've never heard of Schroeder cabs and you've been a TB member since 2000. Get a 410 Schroeder, a big BEEEFY power amp, QSC or Crown, and a nice preamp, Demeter, Avalon, Alembic, etc....Hopefully I've told you something you want to hear, if not bash away....and good luck on your rig hunting.

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you don't like weight, get Walter Woods. Expensive little beasts they are, they do put out 1200 watts and weigh under 8 lbs. Look for neodynium drivers in the cab you get. I'd recommend the 21012 for weight though. Not sure if its got neos, but its a relatively tiny beast that is helllla loud. Epifini and Accugroove I think also make pretty light cabs. I'm not sure if that goes over the $3000 budget, but it is extremely light. I personally know someone who might get the Walter Woods soon, but he uses 2 210 Bergs, which might be another good choice. I'll tell you how it sounds if he lets me play through it.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Aguilar DB659 or Read Purity preamp (aprx. $1000)
    Stewart World 2.1 power amp (2100W @ 4ohm in bridged mode) (aprx. $800)
    Choice of cabs:
    Bergantino NV425 (1x15 + 3x10) or NV215 (2x15 + 1x6) or HT322 (1x12 + 2x10 + tweeter)
    or
    Schroeder 410 (my preference) or 21012 (1x12 + 2x10 + tweeter) or two smaller cabs (my preference of the smaller cabs would be two 1210)
    or
    Euphonic Audio WZ-112 pair
    or
    Epifani UL410
    or
    Bag End
    S15X-D (has coax tweeter) + S15-D (or S12-D)

[If you bought 2nd hand on everything you could swing a new or used Accugroove big cab (El Whappo, BD Sig, or Whappo Jr). It's all about personal tastes. I don't think we'd ever agree on what is THE best. Try out everything you can.]

17. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    amp: the new WT-800 or WT-1205

cab: Eden's 810 or Ampeg PR-810 (cant remember exactly what they
    call it, saw it on ebay once)

18. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    [​IMG]

..and I quote:

EASY???????

Weight 225 LBS :p :p :p

19. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Thanks for the replies fellas, I have in fact heard a number of TBers talk about cabs such as EPi, Schroeder, and , bergantinos. The lame part is that I cannot find them in a store so I can try them out. I would have to order one online and we all know how that could end up, if I don't like it and send it back it cost me over a 100 bucks just to try it out. :meh:

20. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    My back went out just looking at that thing.