1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Underrated glam bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Truktek2, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    So I was listening to the "oldies" station (80's rock) when a Faster Pussycat song came on. Then it kind of dawned on me. If you look through the spandex and make-up, some of the genre were actually pretty good bands. Definitely not all of them, but some of them never got the recognition they should have. So my question is, who do you think was the most underrated glam band?

2. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

No such thing. I could name a lot of overrated glam bands, though.

3. New York Dolls

4. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Hanoi rocks. Such an amazing band. jetboy was another. more of a sleaze band though. Hey trutek, where in queens are you? just curious.

5. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Hanoi Rocks was the poo! :cool:

I don't know if they could be considered "glam," but... Extreme, Mr.Big, Saigon Kick. Look past the requisite top 40 acoustic power ballads (More Than Words, To Be With You, and Love Is On the Way, respectively) and they had some great stuff!

Enuff Z'Nuff, also.

6. The Sweet. One of the most under rated glam bands ever. (except for Pelvic Triangle) I had the pleasure of meeting the latest incarnation of The Sweet last month. Simply awesome live. I had forgotten how great some of that music was. As far as Pelvic Triangle.....to many issue's within the bands line up prevent a reunion right now. However my bass from that era is still for sale on ebay!
    Mic Nuggette'
    Pelvic Triangle (1979-2006)

7. Faster Pussycat ROCKS, many of the people here on TB have never heard of any of the great glam bands from back in the day, although they seem to be touring together again. I saw Faster Pussy Cat with Cinderella and Poison not too long ago.

8. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Under-rated, over-rated, whatever... The Sweet have earned their position in the pantheon of rock greats. Awesome band.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Mott the Hoople?

10. sflajimmy

sflajimmy

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    I agree. I'm huge Hoople' fan from the early days. Still the best version of "All the young dudes" ever put on vinyl. Ian Hunter is brilliant. Overrend Watts...well he fit in the band is about all I can say for him.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Saigon Kick +100 I LOVE Jason Bieler's music.

Extreme - one of my favorites and incredibly talented, but I can't agree that they ever were "underrated". Nuno is a virtuoso and is held in very high regard.

Extreme and Saigon Kick toured together and became friends - Pat Badger played with Jason Bieler's short-lived (but EXCELLENT) band "Super Transatlantic".

I saw Extreme live recently, they are the real deal live!

Nice thing about hair bands - you had to have some pretty good guitar chops to be able to solo at that level. Sure, a few bozos came through the woodwork, but for the most part the guitar players of the era (George Lynch, Nuno Bettencourt, Adrian Vandenberg, Warren DiMartini, etc. etc. etc. the list goes on and on) could SHRED!

12. dbull

dbull

Feb 26, 2009
    North Carolina
    Skid Row. I'm not saying that I have their albums laying around, but Sebastian Bach has one of the all time greatest voices in rock and roll, and the band lays down very solid tracks behind him.

13. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I was just going to post the same. Sweet is by far one of my all time favorite bands.

14. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    T.Rex for me please! Probably not underrated, but it always suprises me how few people know their name and yet recognize 4 or 5 of their songs.

Probably their most famous song

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Kings X

16. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Glam??

Bowie.

The New York Dolls.

Velvet Underground.

T Rex.

Mott the Hoople.

Sweet.

many more I can't think of right now!

17. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Ooohhhh....I could put King's X in several categories, but I don't think glam would be one of them.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Re: Sweet - I was never a big fan but I loved "Ballroom Blitz" and "Love Is Like Oxygen", especially the extended version of the latter. Their drummer was FANTASTIC!!!!!

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Nostalgia is going to make me cry... :bawl:

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

We have a winner!