Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UniBass vs POG

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tombowlus, Feb 9, 2006.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I currently own the UniBass and I definitely need the ability to do what it does (generate an octave up signal so that I can double my bass lines as a rhythm guitar part), but I am not 100% thrilled with its sound, and to me, it sounds a bit "fake", with definite digital artifacts. I tend not to use its on board distortion, and instead I either use a pedal or an actual guitar amp (Ampeg VT-60) for my overdrive.

Will the POG get me a more realistic octave up tone without any artifacts? The UniBass tracks plenty well for me, so as long as the POG tracked equally well, I would be happy, there. Any general thoughts on how the two of them compare in this role? Any other products out there that I should consider?

Again, I am mostly quite happy with the UniBass, but I am just looking for a less "digital" sounding effect.

Thanks, Tom.

2. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've used both of the POG and the UniBass. The POG definitely tracks better than the UniBass and does sound less digital. However, it does have it's own unique POG sound, which I didn't like too much. Throw some distortion on it, though, and you might like it.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've been looking into to this for about 6 months now. I don't thing a person can ever get a real "guitar" sound due to timbre. It will never be the same on a bass as a guitar.

That said, I've been thinking about an Octron. It is an analog octave up pedal, for a lot less than the POG.

Besides, if by "fake" you mean digital, then you may have the same problem with the POG as I beleive it is a digital pedal too.

4. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    if you want to sell or trade your unibass, let me know...

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That looks about perfect, and yes, I was concerned about the POG sounding fake/digital, too. I don't see the Octron on their price list. Are these available now? If so, what is the price?

Tom.

6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes.

They look to be about $200.00. There is one on ebay with a current bid of $175.00.

But if ya get it, ya gotta let me drive to fremount and try the sucker ;)

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

Are you aware of the GTG at my house at the end of this month? If not, head over to the Off Topic forum.

Also, I will be in Columbus tomorrow (later today, actually) making a run to Abel Audio and and the Fifth Avenue Fretshop! :D

Tom.

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Dan is an excellant electronics man!

I'll check it out.

EDIT:

ACK! Your PM mailbox is full!

9. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Well, I'm totally thrilled with my POG. I bought it mainly for its rich, analog-sounding sub octaver. It tracks like a bloodhound and is tweakable to the max. The POG does'nt leave a "digital" taste in my mouth at all.

The Pog's sliders are ideal for this type of effect, easily blending all the octaves, even on the fly if needed.

I've tried quite a few octavers (tho not the Akai Uni), and honestly, compared to the POG, they might as well be selling them at Walgreen's, or maybe stop selling them altogether.

IME, while the others are'nt worth twenty bucks, the POG is worth every cent of $325, and earns the right to its Yeti-sized footprint.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Sorry, cleared it out!

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    That's what I was afraid of. I'm reluctant to spend that much $ but I never see them for sale used so they really must be all that . . .

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Yes, I too am int he same boat! Now wanting a p.o.g., but the price tag is quite big. Does an octron do a clean upper octave, or is it liek an octavia?

13. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    +1 for the POG fan club. The higher octave is amazingly realistic sounding, not digital at all. I used it on a session recently to get a "Zooma" style 8 string sound and it was great.

The "Mike Stern tribute guitar :meh: " on the start of this is the POG upper octave..

http://www.alunvaughan.com/OMAHP.mp3

Cheers,
    Alun

14. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Before you get too set on a POG Tom, check this out: http://www.fdiskc.com/syn/namm/2006/eh_hog.jpg

That's right, it's the POG on a massive overdose of steroids. Arrives March supposedly, there will be an accompnying foot controler. No idea how it will sound on bass but good lord look at the features!

15. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Ooo, that looks like fun :hyper:

I dread to think what the price tag is going to be but it looks very interesting.

Alun

16. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Dammit behringer! Take note of this thread and copy the P.O.G.!!!!! (or H.O.G. for that matter:p)

17. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    :) Excellent idea

Alun

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Sounds like you've deposed a radiologist or two! (Radiologists talk about artifact on MRI images)

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    LOL!!! Actually, I have, but I get that more from talking to my EE/Patent Attorney/Guitar Player/Overall Brainiac buddy. :D

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Did you ever get a chance to try one of these? I'm still rather interested in them (and just missed one on ebay).

Tom.