1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unknown maker of 3/4 double bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by loughery, Dec 12, 2011.

1. loughery

loughery

Oct 15, 2011
    Hello, I found this for sale locally but the seller claims to not know the maker...strange huh? Anyone know if this is a good deal for $500? It looks like the sides of the fretboard are chewed up a bit. Thoughts? Email me ASAP at lougheryg at yahoo because seller is packing out on Wednesday <sigh>. Here is the link....

Upright Acoustic Bass | Musical Instruments for sale on Ramstein bookoo!

:confused:

2. Hi.

It's not all that uncommon that there's no indentification markings on the bass, regardless of the age or place of mfg. It's also not uncommon for people who are into flea-market/auction business to get all sorts of stuff they do no know the manufacturer.

I'm as far from an expert as can be, but I'd say You're looking at a Chinese ply, worth whatever it may be worth to the buyer. The bag is worth something as well.

Not $500 judging by the pics if You ask me.

Unless You're prepared, able and willing to do the setup, I'd use an expert to inspect the bass before buying. Regardless of where You happen to buy it.

Regards
    Sam

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Concur, not uncommon to be unlabeled or for someone not to know who the maker is. I can't tell from these pics if it's a good buy or not. $500 is a good price for something playable, but tough to say from these pics if it is. It looks a little small to me, but again, i can't say from these pics.

Unless you're into a very particular type of old timey sound, those string are going to need to be replaced. Figure $100-200 + some set up cost TBD.

It's a gamble, might be okay.

By the way, it's not a fretboard. There are no frets. If this is the first bass you've seriously looked at, take your time, learn as much as you can. Deals do come alone, but you've got to be patient, lucky and know what you're looking for.