1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrade pickups for Squier 5 string Jazz?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Moe Monsarrat, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I bought some Bartolini replacement pups to drop into my Squier Affinity Jazz 5 string. They were supposed to fit a Fender Jazz 5. My tech said they wouldn't fit without routing & Emgs wouldn't either. Are there any that will?

2. on jazz pickups...

first thing...the width is generally the same...
    the length changes from different pickups, and as the length changes so does the screw hole "ear" positions

therefore...measure your pickups (BOTH of them)...measure the overall length and the ear-to-ear position...

THEN...go to the manufacturer's websites and get their dimensions...for the barts, they generally have everything in scaled .pdf pictures that you can use and they come in a lot of different sizes.

also, you can give these dimensions to your retailer or pickup builder and they should help you...

don't rely on your tech, he's only going to install your pickups for you...these guys seldom go the extra mile and do the research (some do, most don't)...

btw...nordstrand pickups make a variety of sizes, too and they are quite helpful via email

3. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Thanks very much. I'll follow up.

4. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I am not an expert, my I will try to help:

Most Fender Jazz bass pick-ups are two different sizes, but...

At least some of the Fender Squires (like the one I had) both pick-ups are the same size, which throws a monkey wrench in replacing them. that was the main reason I sold the Squire I bought in less than a week. I think EMG makes a direct replacement set, and somebody else does (don't remember) - but most companies do not. Bummer I know - that's why I ditched my Squire.

Also. FYI, my tech, (who is pretty sharp) wasn't even aware that Jazz basses hod two different sized pick-ups, to the point that I don't think he ever believed me.

The worst part is that the original pickups in the Squire 5 custom I had were crap.

Mark

5. That's a strange reason to ditch a bass.

For one, you can always go with a larger rout and put in soapbar shaped pickups like the Nordie Big Singles which opens up a LOT of options for Nordstrand, Barts, & EMG's

Another way to go is to just rout it and put on a pickguard.

I'm actually quite satisfied with the stock pups in my DAJV...but I may be changing out the preamp in the not-so-distant future.