1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrade!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass_masta16, Oct 2, 2008.

1. OK, so I plan to get a Geddy Lee signature, and I want to get out of the passive area.

So I would want to get a preamp, and I don't know much about them, so what would be a good pre to put into the Geddy, and I don't want to have to make cuts in the body (I can't think of the word right now), and what would be the best active pups to put in it.

I don't want to spend to much, but I am aware that they aren't cheap.

If it matters, my band plays rock, classic rock, etc..

Thanks

EDIT: I do realized that I put this in the wrong thread, I had originally intended for it to go to Setup & Repair

2. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Audere would be a direct replacement for a jazz control plate. They seem to be popular around here.

You might enjoy passive pickups with active electronics. Try changing only one component at a time until you're happy with the results. You may even like the Geddy as it is, stock.

3. How much does an Audere cost?

4. And do they take batteries? (Like I said, I am very bad with this stuff)

5. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yessir, 9 volt. Active systems require power, and a battery is usually the best option. Some systems run at 18 volts for more headroom and battery life. Audere's run about $150, iirc.

Edit, I would suggest adding a pre, after checking out the bass stock. You might love the sound. Then experiment. An Audere is easy to install, and come up used here fairly often. Just something else to consider.

6. Ok, so I'm looking at the site, and if I were to get Z-mode J Deluxe Pre - Vol, Vol, Treble/Bass, Tone (I just C & P because I don't know what its really called), what would I have to do as far as my output jack? Would I have to get that routed into the body

7. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Where the jack ends up is up to you. If you get a JZ3 w/o the tone, then you would not have to mod your bass. And there really wouldn't have to be any routing, it's a hole that would have to be drilled.

8. Yeah, I was looking at the JZ3, my only question is I read something about 2 and 3 bands, without getting technical and talking about weird electronic things, can anyone explain what they are as if you explaining to a 14 year old :p

9. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Bass and treb would be two bands.

Bass, mid, and treb would be three.

10. Ah, thank you :)

11. Do you have any person experience with the JZ3? If so, whats your say on it?

12. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    If you don't get a lot of responses, you can certainly look it up. A lot of posts have been made on the audere, and you can check the reviews on this website and harmonycentral.com.

Just from the reviews I've read, the audere is a great investment. It is a neutral sounding preamp (it doesn't color the sound).

Good luck with your search.

13. Ok, well I have 1 more question, would the Geddy have enough room for the battery? Or would I have to route something

14. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    It should fit fine, however there are many Geddy owners here that could answer that better than me. Good luck with your project, and have fun :)

15. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    why get a geddy lee jazz just to upgrade it get a standard fender and then upgrade it. I think fenders sound best passive. I will never own an active fender. there are other great active basses why not go with one of those and save your self the trouble?

16. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    you might consider playing the geddy for a month or so without messing with it at all. maybe put your choice of strings on it, set it up how you like it, play it in a band setting a few times, then if you aren't 100% loving it, maybe think about modifying it. the geddy is a heck of a bass right out of the box! i love spending money as much as the next guy, don't get me wrong... but that is a mighty fine bass just the way it is.

17. because everything i would do the the normal fender is already done with the geddy..

Badass II
    Shaved neck
    and i can just keep the pups that are already installed in it until i get some active pups to match the JZ3
    and im a rush fan :p

18. and yes, i had originally intended on playing it for about a month or 2 before the upgrades.. gotta get the bank account back up