Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading SX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by full_bleed, Jun 17, 2005.

1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    What's some good parts for upgrading a SX 5 string jazz bass? I mean pickups, bridge, tuning keys, convert to avtive, and anything else you can think of. I actually really like that deluxe jazz bass sample that is on the line 6 page for the variax bass. If anyone would know a good formula for coaxing that out of an SX that would be great!

2. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    come on yall little :help: ! I've been looking around the net for options and I thinking about the SD quarter pounder jazz pickups and a badass bridge. should I replace the pots too? I know alot of you buy them just to mod. So what have you done to your SX? Soundclips of the mods you've done would be cool too.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm pretty sure you just answered your question...

4. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    yes but I'm going after is what are good upgrades. I've never done any modifications before so therefore I've never really looked into all the different parts and their quality, sound, reliability, and easy of functionality. I just always played it how they came before. I know enough to know that pickup A may sound great with bass A but with bass B it may sound harsh or boomy. I need some good recomendations based on what others have done and what you may think the altered effect might be based upon a more experienced opinion. Also does any ole' bridge work on any ole' bass or are there going to be some things I need to look for?

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Upgrade what YOU think needs to be changed. If you like the bridge, keep it. If you hate the tuners, change them. Otherwise you're just tail chasing yourself for no good reason.

6. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    BAAAA!!! DAMNIT JUST POST SOME STANDARD UPGRADES THAT PEOPLE DO TO THEIR SX BASSES ... TELL ME HOW IT HAS CHANGED THE SOUND AND OR THE PLAYABILITY OF THE BASS.

"I've been looking around the net for options and I thinking about the SD quarter pounder jazz pickups and a badass bridge. should I replace the pots too?"

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK THESE WILL SOUND LIKE ON IT AND WILL CHANGING THE POTS MAKE A DIFFERENCE. HOW WILL CHANGING THE BRIDGE EFFECT TONE IF AT ALL?

I didn't think this would be such a hard question but apparently....

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    [​IMG]

9. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I did read all that crap and if you did to then you would know that everyone posted what they used but no reason behind it. Nor did they tell me how the bridge may change the sound or if I could use just any bridge or if I have a limited few to choose from. My very first post stated very clear exactly what kind of tone I was looking for but you guys seemed to ignore that fact also. It seems to me that many people on here like to give you a whole bunch of info and advice you don't want and none that you do want. I've seen countless posts where people start on an entirely different subject other than what the original question was. So having said that I will state my tonal goals once again and also say that I am new to modding and I don't know how the little things like bridges, tunning keys, pots, how the pickups are wired (series or parallel) will effect the sound or what hardware pieces will and won't fit. Once again the tone: I really like that deluxe jazz bass sample that is on the line 6 page for the variax bass. If anyone would know a good formula for coaxing that out of an SX that would be great! Thank you very much to anyone who can provide me with the information I've been looking for.

10. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    ya there are alot of people here on talkbass very simular to your situation. Best guy I think to talk to about this is Hambone I think. He seems to do alot of modding with these basses.

I just bought a QMD... its great for what i paid for. Intially i was going to mod or change the neck with a warmoth but when it came in I thought the neck was completely fine... In fact I love it. Plus all that extra stuff you have to do with a new neck...AND im afraid about it not fitting...and im poor.

-------------POTS-----
    There is a great deal of interference from the electronics interacting from each other... New Pots I heard would help alot... some even say that the basses quality increases dramatically after this upgrade...

go here for example and get yourself some new pots...
    http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/BB4S2
    You should get yourself a shielding kit too while youre there(COPPER BABY)

as for me... I am basically a bum so i can't afford this. I'll use Aluminum foil instead from my parents kitchen and borrow my friends soldering iron to shield my essex. ;)

---------bridges--------

This should better your sustain. Badass 2 bridge or something simular is what i want...
    again:
    http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/BB4S2

This is second on my list.

---------Pickups-------

Duncan Seymor for raunch sound...Barts i dunno... i know nothing about these things except that they are electromagnets...

-------Tuners------

the ones that come with it look okay from far away but if you look closely they look really cheap hahaha like the cogs are not even like even... they are kind of looked abused sort of but mehh... i paid 99 bucks I am happy. They keep the strings on at least and keep it in tune for the most part...I dont mine tuning up before i go play... its not like im tuning a harp.

SO there you have it. ill post a diagram of the electronic blueprint thingy so you know how to wire up/solder your new pots on later haha have fun.

11. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Not to sound all tight shirt wearing, obsessive lisping, or boy hugging but I love you man. Thanks a lot!

12. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    yahhh i understand, the megathread is good advice as well but i understand that it is sometimes it might be hell trying to take in 181 pages of SX bass.

ya here is the thing i was going to post some one on the megathread posted it before me i think I wish i could remember his/her name so i can credit them for it but here:

[​IMG]

13. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I just dropped EMG jazz pickups in my SX and it sounds great. I also got a Gotoh bridge off ebay that is great, it did not require any new holes to be drilled.

14. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    did the EMGs drop in perfect?

15. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    awesome keithpas. You wouldn't by any chance have any sound clips available would you? Is it a 4 or 5 string?

16. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY

17. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    The EMg's were a direct drop in a for an SX 4 string, I'm not sure if EMG makes a model that would drop be a drop in for a five string. I don't have sound clips but the bass sounds like a good jazz bass. It has lots of midrange character and a ton of growl when I play either with a pick or back by the bridge with the bridge pickup solod. I will be dropping in an EMG BTC preamp soon.

18. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney

Nov 9, 2004
    Virginia
    I've recently changed the following on my fretless sx:

Ultra Jazz Pickups
    Installed Fender pots and fender knobs and plate
    Swapped out the bridge for a 201
    Dyed the lined frets black
    Fender pickguard.
    Copper Lining

Overall sound, Excellent. Changing the pots was extremely helpful. I will be changing the tuners shortly. Bass looks very good as well. The Fender pickguard is a Maple finish, all hardware is gold. Very classy looking.

19. This really surprises me. Seems strange to me that replacing some variable resistors could actually change the tone. In what way did you find this upgrade helpful?
    Thanks.
    (I'm slowly hacking on a cheap Yamaha).

20. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You don't even own it yet. Buy the bass first, and then decide what you think needs to be replaced. In my opinion, the only thing that really needs to be done to an SX is setup and shielding, and not even every bass/model needs that. Every other mod is usually just for personal preference. The preamp I added to my SX 3/4 P is a good example, the bass sounded fine stock, but most of my other basses are active and I prefer the tone so I bought a cheap Jackson pre on ebay and now I'm even happier.