1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upright Guy Looking For the Best Amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bestep123, Apr 28, 2010.

1. bestep123

bestep123

Sep 17, 2009
    Michigan
    Hey all,

I currently have a Shadow SH 965 NFX-B Nanoflex pickup, Shure Beta 98 mic all running in a new Headway EDB-1 DI/blender. I need some suggestions on punchy combo amp used as a monitor.
    I play bluegrass and in need ASAP for gigs. I currently own an AI Coda R Series III. Great amp but wanting a little bigger speaker.
    Here are some of my qualifications...over 100 watts, 1x12, 2x12, 1x15, or 2x10, maybe with a tube. I have been reading forum after forum, checked reviews on Mesa, Eden, Markbass, Genz Benz, SWR, etc. and still haven't found the best....PLEASE HELP!

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Why not try adding an extension speaker to your current combo?

3. bestep123

bestep123

Sep 17, 2009
    Michigan
    Too many cords, power cords, and cabs to carry...looking for one unit. I have checked out a few Genz Benz cabs and heads...

4. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    So you're looking for a new combo?

5. bestep123

bestep123

Sep 17, 2009
    Michigan
    Yes

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would suggest that you at least try out the Phil Jones Super Flightcase. Chris Fitzgerald reviewed both the Super and its little brother in issue #4, and I believe he picked up the Super Flightcase for his personal use.

7. I would like to say this for the PJB BG-300. I obtained one from Lemur Music. I was really happy with the sound quality, but felt let down by the volume levels. I figured I had made a mistake in purchasing the amp. I tried to sell it and someone tried it out, but did not purchase it due to the lack of volume.

Finally, I contacted PJB and spoke with Phil. He told me I probably had an input sensitivity issue and asked that I send it back so they could check it out. I had a problem though. See I did not fill out the warranty card in required 14 days. Phil said not to worry and that they could check it out.

Well, the guys at PJB found that the amp was only producing about a tenth of the power it is supposed. So what did they do? They sent me a replacement amp. Keep in mind that I did not do my part to insure warranty coverage.

PJB is awesome.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is good customer service, for sure! :cool:

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm really glad to hear this. How do you like the amp now?

10. I haven't gigged with it yet. So all of my experience has been in my music room which does not fairly represent the spaces in which I typically play. I will say the amp rattles the walls with much more authority than previously though.

I am expecting to be very happy.

11. bestep123

bestep123

Sep 17, 2009
    Michigan
    Well I just purchased a Markbass cmd 102p tonight at GC. Sounded great in the store, will be trying it out tonight with the upright. I am anxious to hear the blender and the amp. I did notice there is an XLR input along with a 1/4" input. I will be trying it DI out XLR in to the amp XLR, and 1/4" out of the DI in to the 1/4" input of the amp...I will post later. Thanks!

12. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I use my PJB BG-300 SFC combo to amplify my DB when i play with a LOUD rock trio and it cuts through great. For some reason it seems to be louder and more authoritative with an upright rather than a bass guitar.

Simply the best combo amp for upright I've ever heard.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I'll be interested in hearing your take on how that combo works with the URB. It's definitely not a one hand carry like the little CMD121 combo.

14. bestep123

bestep123

Sep 17, 2009
    Michigan
    So I jammed with the amp yesterday and I really do like the sound. I have tried the amp straight from the pickup only (1/4") and sounds great. Next I ran both my Shure Beta 98 with pickup in EDB-1. I got a better sound XLR out of the EDB-1 rather than the 1/4" out on the side of the EDB-1 to the amp. The only problem I have with the amp is the fact that it noisy...static and the size. I am half temped to take it back and get the cmd 121p just for convenience....

15. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    In my experience the CMD 121P is more than enough for most Double Bass gigs. The 102p is a cool combo as well, but I don't think you can beat the 121P for portability and sound.

16. kerrycares

kerrycares Lover of God, People , Music and Bass Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    AER PRICE: $3,899.00

17. Gary Lynch

Gary Lynch

Nov 18, 2008
    Sonoita AZ
    $4K............?!?!

18. kerrycares

kerrycares Lover of God, People , Music and Bass Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan

yep....... www.luthiersaccessgroup.com
    has them and recently demo a unit for the fine folks in Michigan.
    great amp with a great big price tag. i tried it with an electric but not with my upright.

my favorite upright rig of all time was my 1,000 watt walter woods with 2 aguilar 1x 12 cabs. great for large gigs with both cabs,great for small gigs with one cab and the Woods is high power but does not produce the boomy bottom end associated with most electric bass amps.

19. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow

+1

I finally got to play through a PJ combo last week, and while I was not playing my DB, i could only imagine how wonderful it would have sounded. What an incredible product.