1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upright strings on electric bass?`

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guimdonatron, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Would it be possible to use strings with the thickness of upright strings on an electric bass? If so, any ideas on what tone would be produced?

I imagine it would be a real fat thumpy tone, but I could be totally wrong. This could potentially be a stupid question, but I just had the thought and wanted to ask.

Thanks, mates!

2. Why would you want to? :eek:

3. basskidd

basskidd

Jul 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Why not? It sounds like an interesting idea

4. ^ Let us know how it works out. :D

5. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    You see, somebody posts something like this on April 2nd and we dutifully answer. Same type of question asked on April 1st and I'm the idiot for answering.

TB, sometimes you are a joke on yourself:spit:

6. It a serious question actually, haha. I wonder if anyone makes custom strings to fit this.

7. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    It's all about the gauge of the string. They vary. As I recall from my upright days, the Thomastic soloist strings were a very similar gauge to an average bass guitar string.

8. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    There's a subforum called "strings", ya know...

:bag:

9. If upright strings can be the same gauge as electric bass strings why not just use flats? If it where heavier gauge strings, I'm sure you wold have neck issues. Maybe try a heavy gauge electric 5 string flatwound set and tune the low B to an E and report back. I'm sure the scale length of an upright would also have big issues using them on an electric.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you want to spend 10x what bass guitar strings cost on an experiment that will likely fail, it's a free country...sort of ;)

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  12. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Giving this a little more thought, it might be interesting. What you would essentially have is a heavy gauge string that plays as soft as a light gauge, due to the shorter scale length. But it wouldn't be a cheap experiment.

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Upright bass strings are the same gauge essentially so there wouldn't be a change in tension.

14. Some early bassist in Poland putted cello strings on an electric guitar, to make it sound like bass. Havent heard it in all my life, but why not give a try ?

15. Also, bass guitar strings are made to a set scale length(s) so the strings taper down as to fit into the tuning posts. You'd have to cut DB strings down, and strip them back to make them fit.

16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

I suggest weedwackers on your Jazz. It's awesome, dude.

17. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    There are about 100,000 posts about flatwound strings that will get you close enough tone and even feel-wise. Dead LaBella Jamerson's come to mind. Please /thread.

18. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Tapewound Black Nylon strings.