1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

UPS "lost" this Ken Smith Bass....Please Check it out!

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by WKelly, Oct 19, 2006.

1. WKelly

WKelly

Oct 19, 2006
    Hi Folks

I recently sold my number one baby, my Ken Smith BSR5MS on ebay. It never arrived at it's destination and UPS now believes it was stolen from their Stratford CT warehouse. Please let me know if anyone sees this bass....it is one of a kind, wide neck 5. Serial number W5MS230503CT

Thanks!

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You have a great case to get what you insured it for if you got it insured and if so,you should have a check for the full insured amount when your process claim is fully investigated.

3. WKelly

WKelly

Oct 19, 2006
  4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Your'e welcome.

nice looking Bass.
    UPS will pay you what it was insured for and from there you will have to deal with the buyer.

5. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    UPS has thieves everywhere! I used to work for a boutique home electronics store and we would get stuff missing all the time. The claim process is a drag, but they will eventually reimburse you for what it's insured against. Good luck brother!

As an aside, I bet the person who bought it was really disappointed too...

6. I bet...I had this happen to me....The seller didn't refund my money till UPS paid him.

7. I had a bass damaged in shipping by UPS, it took almost 3 months for me the buyer, to be taken care by the UPS insurance folks. What a nightmare. Hopefully it being stolen will prove a quicker turn around.

8. hey you might get more than you sold it for :)

9. WKelly

WKelly

Oct 19, 2006
    hi guys,

ups is processing the claim, they should pay in full. However, this is now Nov 4, and this all began on Oct 9. I still cant believe this happened to me.

Unfortunately, the gentleman that bought the bass is having to wait until ups refunds me the money. I felt bad about having to do this this way, but I sold the bass in order to keep me and my wife solvent (meaning, we had to pay rent) and we're having our first baby in roughly two weeks. He will get all his money back. I wish UPS would reimburse both of us for our time we expended in dealing with them and for my ebay fees. Thank God the other party has been understanding of our situation.

Again, if someone ever sees this bass, I'd love to know about it. Thanks for keeping this thread current guys.

10. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    I put the word out to all my old guitar workshop connections, many of them still teach around CT. Get someone to keep an eye peeled at East Coast Music Mall. Horrible store, and the most likely place it will turn up if it got pinched in CT.

11. WKelly

WKelly

Oct 19, 2006
    bump

please keep an eye out for this folks, i wold love to find the a-hole at UPS that stole this.

12. i work for a home theater company and we had a plasma tv show up and when we opened it the tv was gone. someone at ups had opened the box, taken the tv and filled the box with drywall so it still had some weight to it. pretty frickin crazy. not a big fan of ups.

b.

13. WOW bummer, I work for BestBuy and we have not run across that at are store, but we have had customer(s) try to put old tv's in new boxes and try to return them and then act like we will not open the box to make sure it is the same product, 9 times out of 10 we have to get rid of the box regardless because we have to display the tv's anyways. We had one guy that bought a LCD from us and lives 2 hours away well instead of returning the tv himself he shipped it to us Via FedEx... kinda cool. :D

Sorry for the rant Bo, best of luck with getting your money back, and I hope they find your bass as well so you can have your cake and eat it too. I hope these creeps lose there job, goto jail, "Do not pass go and do not collect $200", and it works out in your favor!

Peace,

14. Cory

Cory Supporting Member

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    Yes, I too am not a big fan of UPS these days. I've had things get "lost" by them several times. The most recent problem with them is they smashed my EA 800C combo while it was on the way to me. The damage claim was filed in October and it's the end of Jan. and I still don't have my amp back or my $$$. UPS is on my bad list!!!

15. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm going to think twice about UPS now.

16. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    that sucks.
    They have no reason not to pay in full, just stay on them. Fedex isn't much better. They lost two basses in one box, and the day they were going to pay up, it magically reappeared on the radar. Sketchy!

17. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Have you tried contacting the UPS Overgoods warehouse in SLC? That's where items either fall out of the packing, become too damaged, or lose their label go to. Its doubtful it was stolen, as its impossible to get something like a Ken Smith out through hub security.

18. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I don't know....the stuff that used to get "lost" at UPS from the home electronics store was usually fairly large packages worth at least two to three thousand dollars each. They somehow just mysteriously "disappeared."

One thing I know about thieves....where there's a will, there's a way.

19. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    A package that "disappears" almost always has lost it's label, or it's become unreadable. Claims take a while because they have to search through overgoods to find it. If you have a damaged package, you didn't do enough to protect it. Pack everything extremely tight with crumpled newspaper. Double box everything. The extra time and money is worth it. A second label inside the box is also a must.

20. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    Thats not really a fair thing to say. Tgey do things with boxes that would destroy any piece of electronic equipment, even if it was in a shock mount flight case.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021