1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Uptown Funk Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TyBo, Oct 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TyBo

TyBo

Dec 12, 2014
    Bruno Mars is being sued for copyright infringement over his (and Mark Ronson's) Grammy winning song "Uptown Funk". The suit is by a group called Collage, who had a 1983 song called "Young Girls" with a very similar rhythm track and chord structure to Mars' "Funk". Bruno Mars Sued For Stealing “Uptown Funk”

I can sort of see where they're coming from, kind of, a little bit, there are definite similarities ... but is it really the same song? Is it the same melody? Is it the same background theme? It seems as though the burden of proof in these cases is becoming less stringent, so it may be that they'll win or get a settlement, we'll see. I know that I much prefer Bruno's thing, in any case ...

Bruno Mars - "Uptown Funk"

th?id=OVP.
    Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk ft. Bruno Mars

www.youtube.com
    Mark Ronson's official music video for 'Uptown Funk' ft. Bruno Mars. Click to listen to Mark Ronson on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/MarkRonsonSpotify?IQid=MarkRUF As ...

Collage - "Young Girls"

th?id=OVP.
    Collage - Young Girls

www.youtube.com
    From the 1983 album 'Get In Touch'

2. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I hear slight similarity in some of the

guitar licks & tone
    background synth tone
    drum rhythm

None of which should be actionable IMO. Its inevitable and logical for musicians to be influenced by music they hear that was produced by other musicians. I think only cases of blatant copying should be considered. I dont think this comes anywhere near to qualifying as that.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

image-.
    Agreed. This is getting ridiculous!!

4. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I agree, all pop music sounds the same.

Hopefully blurred lines was the first in a domino chain that will result in the mainstream music industry finally imploding.

The wyrm has caught its own tail, now we just play the waiting game.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  5. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    You guys are too quick to dismiss this one. I can easily hear that they're both in 4/4 time. Clearly a direct copy.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    This sounds the same in the sense that a lot of hair metal bands sounds the same. There are similar production and stylistic ques but that's about it.

salcott and TyBo like this.
  7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

That collage song sounds like Prince (RIP) to me.

8. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    The Prince estate could sue all of 'em!

9. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Don Was's 'Walk The Dinosaur' sounds like the Collage track

Both Collage, Was and Bruno all have rhythmic elements of Al Hudson and One Way's "You Can Do It!"

knumbskull and Tom0Blam0 like this.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Bruno already paid out at least two other artists prior to releasing "Uptown Funk" so he certainly knows that it borrows from other artists/sounds. I don't have time to listen to the Collage track right now though.

11. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    No effing way. They are both funk songs. That's about it. This crap is getting out of hand.

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I think you have to look outside of just the music. One of the issues that gave me more pause with Zep was the fact that the bands were touring together, and therefore would have had more chance to hear the song again and again. In this case there is a similarity of some things, but all songs in a genre sound similar.

TyBo likes this.
  13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    This x lots.

14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I figured there'd be some fallout from the #@@@#!!-ed up verdict in the Blurred Lines case...

What's next--Dick Dale sues the Ramones for infringement because both surf music and punk use a lotta eighth notes? Sheesh...

TyBo likes this.
  15. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

my sweet lord

16. No way dude first 2 seconds but nothing like uptown funk
    Alot better hahaha
    Funky as digging it

17. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    AZ
    Those idiots in "collage" should be humiliated. It's not even close. I am irritated that I had to give that crappy youtube video another "view"...

18. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I always sing "open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur" during the horn part in "uptown funk," as I've always thought that track was a bit of a was (not was) ripoff.

incidentally I still have that was (not was) album on a cassette somewhere, it's really good.

19. I'm pretty sure we're all opposed to true plagiarism, but it's getting to the point where you can't put together a new song that's reasonably pleasing to the ear without trodding on somebody's copyright, or at least without your song bearing some passing resemblance to a previously copyrighted song.

PortlandBass77 and FilterFunk like this.