Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Urgent help needed!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blamusic, Mar 25, 2004.

1. blamusic

blamusic

Mar 25, 2004
    I have very little time and too many bass heads to choose from. I thought you guys could narrow it down for me.

I have a Warwick Corvette Proline bass and an Aguilar Gs410 cabinet. Only a head to go but I am a little lost. I need something mellow, thick for mainly trip-hop (Massive Attack, Portishead). The main point is I don't really play hardcore metal or rock, stuff like that.

I've had my eyes on the Gallien-Krueger 700RB and the Eden WT-330. I have a very loud guitarist behind a Vintage Orange head and cab (300W if iam not mistaken) to out-run. Unfortunatly I don't have enough to spend to get an Aguilar head or a more powerful Eden, but any advise would be great.

Thanks and hope to hear from all of you!

Rob

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Run out and buy a power amp and Sansamp BDDI.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Get an Ashdown!

BTW Orange´s biggest head is 200 W and its a bass amp. Their strongest guitar head is 120 W.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Jock...you're in Sweden...shouldn't you be steering him towards EBS?? :D

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sure. :D
    But for phat and warmth Ashdown is better. I actually prefer EBS myself but its a little clearer.

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Have you tried any of the Tech Systems stuff out of Germany? That stuff sounds great.

I love Ashdown as well as EBS. I just can't pay for that and my kids education, food, clothes, and European gas prices at the pumps. FWIW...gas at the pumps here is USD 5.15 a gallon. (That may explain why ya don't see many SUV's on the road).

Sorry to hijack the thread...

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hijack continues... :ninja:

No, Ive never tried Tech Soundsystems. But Id really like to. But those prices are realy high. Even more than Glockenklang.
    Are they really worth it?

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    THE FAA HAS BEEN NOTIFIED THAT A HIJACKING IS UNDERWAY. PLEASE STANDBY.

Just about anything made here is pricey. Is it worth it? Good question. My bigger issue is that I find that no matter where I play, my sound is different because of the room, volume constraints, etc.

I think the GS410 that Rob has is really nice. Wouldn't fit in my BMW trunk like my Nemesis. Jock...you know what parking is like in European cities. A bigger amp means bringing the family wagon downtown and trying to find a parking spot that you could only squeeze a Smart car into.

Rob...I've used both GK and Eden. I have a soft spot for Eden. Can't tell you why. Might be because they did such a good job in designing a really good compromise combo with the Nemesis.

If you want great tube tone, check out the new Yorkville 200 watt tube head. Bullet proof Canadian stuff. Not unlike Molsons or Labatt beer.

9. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    You may want to check out either the EA (Euphonic Audio) or Genz Benz Stuff. Both the EA iAmp 800 (and older 600) and Genz Benz GBE 600 are incredible heads and will provide plenty of tone shaping ability and power. EA runs a little more than $1000 and the GB around $700 US. Can't go wrong either way.

10. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Hey, how about used? There are a few good tube choices that might fit the bill:

Eden VT300 (It's made by Koch, I believe), Trace Elliot V6 or V8, Marshall VBA 400, etc.

Gotta be a used market out there. Unless you are squeamish about buying used, that is.

Good luck.

11. blamusic

blamusic

Mar 25, 2004
    Thanks for all the help, I look into the hardware you offered. Ashdowns a little expensive and the used (ebay) market is very low in resources right now. By the way, I am in the states right now, but in to small a town to get anything here.

And then you said alot of bass names I havent really heard of yet and wouldn't even have the chance to try before purchase. That one of the reasons I need help, because there seems to countless brand names and i have no idea which would suite me although I think I have a very specific need given the style, the power I need (around 300-400W) and the gear I already have.

Thanks alot, I'll keep going, I hope you do :)

Thanks again hope to be hearing from you for just a bit longer

Rob