1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Us good old brits!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fitchy_rocks, May 15, 2006.

1. the u.k. ruled rock n' roll for ages, now it looks like you yanks have wriggled it from our grasp with your pop-punk and gangsta rap. who is with me in saying that we brits should take back the power that the likes of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Led Zep, Queen and even Oasis gave to us!! Rule Britannia!!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Eh, i don;t think it's so much of a competition. I'll listen to either, it doesn't matter as long as they sound good.

As far as the gansta rap, you can have it.

3. gangsta rap > british people :p

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
  5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Well, if you insist upon taking back the mantle, be my guest. All I ask is that you & your countrymen do it the way you did before - by breaking new creative ground, not by recycling the same old sludge (how could you possibly mention Iron Maiden in the sentence as Queen?)...

I'm not proud of gangsta rap - it's like the cockroach of the music world: it just refuses to die...

Frankly, I'm much more enamored (enamoured?) of such British artists as Porcupine Tree (rock), and Future Sound of London (electronic/trance). Much more interesting, more sophisticated stuff. How about going in that direction instead?

MM

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

How is "gangsta rap" (sic) anything to do with Rock and Roll...:meh: ??

Not that I like them - but wasn't Coldplay's last album a huge seller..?

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Weren't the beatles, the stones and the who also british?

8. To be honest as long as the US continues to give me bands like the Mars Volta and NoMeansNo I'm happy either way.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    This thread is stupid. Music is music. It doesn't matter where it comes from. And don't tell me that you don't find that profound.

10. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

The Mercy Beats, Animals,

Best Of Luck,
    Wesley R.

11. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    You forgot...

Pink Floyd
    Bad Company
    Led Zeppelin
    Yes

12. It doesn't matter in the short term, but IMO it does in the long term. In simple terms, and with apologies to non US/UK talent:

We sent folk music over the pond. They fused it with music that originated in Africa and sent it back.

Since then, there have been various invasions backwards and forwards between the two.. and that's how we got to where we are today.

When one 'side' hold the balance of power for too long, things start getting a bit crap. At that point, someone from the other side drops by to give everyone a kick up the arse... and so it goes on.

If we look at pioneers and trailblazers... Elvis, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Pistols, Nirvana, Oasis (just kidding).

Our two musical cultures need each other, IMO..

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think it does matter where music comes from - so traditional Greek Folk Music can be in some very odd time signatures - but when you see the dances that it goes with, then it all makes perfect sense! :)

14. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

The U.S. basically took the rock scene back with the grunge/alternative trends in the nineties, but I'd say the Brits have got it back with the recent popularity of bands like The Libertines, Franz Ferdinand, and the Arctic Monkeys. Plus they still have Radiohead, arguably the most talented album-oriented rock band.

15. Bruce Lindfield

I'm an old fart - but I'd agree that Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand made me sit up and take notice - maybe nostalgic for the spirit of "Gang of Four" - whereas no current US Rock Artists have sounded remotely new or interesting....:meh:

But if we're talking Jazz.....;)

16. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Then, for Heaven's sake, please give Coldplay a nice passie and make them stop whining, and produce more of the likes of Sabbath and Led Zep and Motorhead. And The Clash!

I love old-school British blues/rock, hard rock, and punk. But these "soft" bands coming out of Britain these days...sorry, but...DEFINITELY not my cup of tea. There seem to be such a flock of them, anymore!!!

Got any good, recent, British punk and hard rock bands we don't know about? Please, make with some names, 'cause I'd love to hear them! :)

Also...y'all better watch ya-selves with that-there crown. 's awful pointy. May just have ta take it, and make a belt buckle out of it. ;) Texas produces *great* musicians, and I am not just talking about country artists like Willie and Waylon, or our most famous son, SRV.

Texas music is varied and vibrant, and the scenes in places like Austin, Houston, El Paso, and the Greenville district of Dallas are fertile ground for musical genious. We've got rock, country, jazz, soul, R&B, blues, punk, and, yes, our very own brand of gangsta rap. (Houston produces the best Texas rap, filled with pride of place and of stories from the wards, and references to the old ways of their folks and grandparents, influencing the new.)

Lloyd Maines says that there is music in the dirt in Texas, and we can't help but absorb it into our bones. So...beware of bony musicians from Texas! LOL!

Rock on, man...

Cherie :bassist:

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Luxembourg is where it's at these days.

18. Winner

19. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Then why post in it? :rolleyes:

20. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Gee Bruce. I'm disappointed you didn't mention the greatest band of all time to emerge from the UK: The Darkness :D