Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

US Navy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    So right now I'm kind of considering enlisting in the Navy. Why? I would like to get paid to see the world, and have a good time. My father, former Coast Guard, really encourages me to join, but I'm not set on it quite yet. I'm just kind of stagnating here in school, not enjoying it. I just kind of want to do something interesting. I'd probably have to wait until I'm finished with my Associate's Degree (it will be done by summer).

I know there are alot of former/current Navy people on here who can maybe answer my questions. One thing worth remembering is that I am an Eagle Scout (I hear this qualifies me for higher pay and maybe even rank?):

I want to travel, and I think working on a surface ship would be exciting. I don't really want to just sit on a base. I mean, ships are cool. So am I most likely going to get stuck on a base straight out of basic?

I haven't taken the ASVAB yet, but I don't have any worries about that really. As far as career paths, I'm interested in technological kind of stuff. I know you have to score high on the ASVAB for that. Are those positions plentiful?

If you have gone through the Navy, how was boot camp for you? I'm not really worried about this either, just curious. Especially if you've gone through recently.

And feel free to add whatever you want about your experiences, or anything else you want to say.

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i did six years as a Firecontrolman (thats shooting missiles not putting out fires) and my advice is to put 100% into everything you do. it will help.

for example, many people screw around and dont take the ASVAB seriously. you should. the better you score the more options you get.

another piece of advice: get EVERYTHING in writing. the recruiters will tell you all kinds of stuff just to get you to sign. if it's not in writing, it doesnt exist.

Boot Camp is cake, just keep your head down and take a lesson from Forrest Gump: do whatever they tell you to do. :) the hardest part of boot camp is being away from home for three months.

Depending on what rate you choose, you might actually have the option of staying on land for your first term, but most of the time you will go to a ship. if you feel inclined they are always looking for more bubbleheads too.

i dont know about the Eagle Scout thing. i have never heard about that.

the navy provided me a lot of opportunities and opened doors for me that i would never have been able to walk through had i not enlisted. including seeing places of the world and other fantastic cultures.

now for the negative parts: dont believe the commercials. :) they dont play Godsmack on the ships all day. :bassist: Top Gun isnt a real good depiction of ship life either.

when you are new at any station you will most likely be given the mundane tasks of cleaning...and lots of it. dont sweat it, its part of the evolution of a sailor.

on the upside, you get to learn lots of great acronyms. :)

hope this helps some.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    NAVY Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

DougP gave you an excellent synopsis. But I like talking shop so...

It's not for everyone but let me compress a naval career for you: Show up on time, in the right uniform, don't talk back to anyone who outranks you and do your job.

Boot camp: Easy. A lot of push ups and BS chores, but it's a fun time.

Pay: Sucks until you get to about E5. Which should be a given promotion unless you're an absolute dirtbag (in which case you should be joining the Air Force:bag: ).

Bennies: You can take up to 12 semester hours of college / yr on the Navy's dime. I am getting my Master's this spring with nothing out of pocket but the cost of my books. Did I mention that the Navy and the GI Bill will pay for my phD too? Look at everything the Navy has to offer for your personal development is what I am saying.

Free Medical and Dental

Assignments: Oh yeah, you'll love being on a ship. It's like going to prison but with the possibility of drowning. Food's great too ;)

See the world: I've been to Canada, Hongkong, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia (Bali!), Australia, Brunei, Thailand, Mexico, Dubai, Bahrain, Iraq (lovely I know), Yemen. I want to be stationed in Norfolk now so I can see Europe. Which brings me to:

Hos. Lots of Hos. Sodom and Gomorrah.

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Consider the source on the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE comment.
    I was stationed on a NAS, we got our most enjoyment out of turning Chiefs purple. Our Master Sargents let us slide on some uniform rules since it was a remote duty, and it drove the Chiefs nuts.:D
    You do travel more, I'll give you that.

5. my dad was in the navy and the advise he told me was "join the Air Force"

anyways, i always liked that joke about the guy to joined the navy to see the world and got stuck in a submarine for 9 out of 12 months!

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Anyone who's served in ANY other service, if they're worth thier salt, has given the advice "Join the Air Foce"! (I did, I was army for YEARS before I wised up)

I went to AIT on Naval Amphibious Base, Little Creek, Va....I'd never join the navy. What's up with that stupid hat?!? And the sailor moon outfits...:D

Eagle Scout qualifies you to enlist as an E2 in the Navy.

20 hours of college also qualifies for enlistment at E2.

45 hours of college credit qualifies for enlistment at E3.

(Note: the navy guys didn't tell you about this. It took an Air Force guy to figure out the college stuff....tell you anything?) ;)

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It tells you that Air Force guys have a lot of free time.

They launch the planes in the morning, go out to the golf course all day and come back in the afternoon in time for the planes to come back.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Oh we have two puddlejumper cutters in NAVBASE San Diego right now. Those Coasties have a different set of rules. I loooove to hear them argue that what they are doing are within Coast Guard regs. I remind them that they are in a Navy Base before I take their ID, hand them a trash bag and gloves and tell them "Two hours".

Drive me nuts? Oh no.

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    OK, so what's your point?:)

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I don't want the poster to think that he is actually joining the military if he goes AF.:smug:

Hey, tomorrow's Friday. Barbecue starts @ 0800 right?

11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Let's get real!!! We got friday off.:)

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    *Smacks forehead* Oh! Dats right!

13. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Oh they would have loved that. The problem was, on that station they were not to approch us directly, they were to go though our chain of command, and they would just blow it off. That's what drove them nuts. Our Master Sgt.s didn't get along w/ the Chiefs for some reason. Had to do w/ something over at their Barracks. They wouldn't even sit together. They would never tell us what it was, it was between them. I think it had to do w/ their bar.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...psst...Jon, as a zoomie brat, I gotta tell ya, ya did real good.

:)

However, if you'd spelled "Air FoRce" correctly, you might have had more impact....

:eek:

:D

ON TOPIC:

Vox, however you choose to serve our country, you have my respect, as do all of those that choose to serve and protect - even you squids. ;)

15. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    You should have PM'd him to correct it before one of the squids catches it.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    1) A zoomie brat caught it, not a squid, so we're cool.

:cool:

2) He's a transplanted gropo, he only gets partial coverage.

;)

17. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Gotcha!!!:)

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    :D

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You would be doing a great thing for your country and I would hold you in the utmost respect. (there's no saluting smiley)

If you're working on your Associate's already I would recommend finishing your degree, looking into ROTC (or some similar program) to complete your Bachelor's and going in as an Officer. Talk to the recruiters about this angle.

Technology? How about Nuclear power (pretty much the coolest technology there is IMO)? The Navy has the best training on the Earth for nuclear power, you get extra pay, do something REALLY GOOD for your country and the environment, and are pretty much guaranteed a stable good paying job when you leave.

Also, see if you can transfer into the Coast Guard Academy. You'll need great grades and lots of legwork, but it may be doable.

20. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    A buddy of mine recently decided to join the Navy as well. After about a month of boot camp, he decided he made a bad decision. Not cause boot camp was hard, he's out now, and stationed in Virginia on the USS Truman, but because he just doesnt like Navy life much, hates being away from friends and family, that kind of thing.

I can't answer any of your questions really, but make sure you think about everything doing this will entail and make sure your prepared for it. It sounds like you have some time yet.

BTW, I took the ASVAB in high school, when I was thinking of enlisting to pay for school. It was an extremely easy test, I believe I scored a 98/100. They told me I could basically do anything I wanted to do in any branch of the service I wanted to go into. I believe you have to score a 30 to get into the Army/Marines, a 40 for Navy, and a 50 for Air Force. At least thats what it was at the time. I decided from that test alone that it wasnt something I wanted to get into. When I scored higher than most of the people that would be superiors to me, something struck me as hard to take about that. I dont tolerate stupidity well :)