1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

USA g and l series, vs music man bongo.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NumberOfTheBass, Oct 23, 2010.

1. I have some potential trade offers on a bass and I'm curious to see what you guys think.

My choices are a 5 string USA g and l l2500 vs a 4 string music man Bongo.

I was looking for a 4 string to begin with, so that's a plus for the bongo. Not that a fifth string would be horrible. What they look like aside, what do you think about the sound/ playablility of these two?

I play a lot of classic rock stuff. I often play near/ over the neck, geezer butler style. I really love geezers tone, so which of these would come close? Especially Sabbaths earlier stuff. I'm also looking for other tones too, so flexibility is a plus. I'm still figuring out my sound.

Any input you have is appreciated.

2. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Pick up configuration on the bongo?

3. Sorry the pickups on the bongo are HH.

4. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)

Defenitely G&L... you can easy get Geezers tone on that beast + you have so many tonal options... Bongo is modern hi-fi bass! I prefer G&L anyday anytime!!!

Cheers :bassist:

5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I think you would find it easier to find the tone with the G&L.

The Bongo has its own sound in and off it self that is somewhat off a modern-ish with EBMM spin if it with heavliy mid circuit to it.

If those two are your 2 options and you want to go more classic / Geezer Butler I would go with the G&L.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Like they said, the Bongo is definitely more modern voiced. It's like a poor man's Wal. If you want classic, you want G&L.

7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Classic = G&L all day every day. It's a tone beast.

8. Thanks for the help guys. I figured the G and L would get the more classic kind of sound.