1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Used WT-300 or GK 700RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GuitarFreak1092, Jan 26, 2012.

1. GuitarFreak1092

GuitarFreak1092

Jan 17, 2012
    Hey everyone new to the forums here and I need your help im currently playing in a rock cover band mostly in bars and clubs and im about to make a very important purchase my first bass rig so here are my options so far:

A used Eden WT-300 head ($230)
    w/ a hartke 4x10 cab (around $350 but not sure on the model yet)

or should i just get a gk 700rb-II head with a good 4x10 neo cabinet

I havent been able to find alot of information or sound demos of the Eden so far but for a 300watt head and the money it seems like a good deal I have played with the GK at a local guitar center and really love the sound but it seems like every other review i read on the 700rb-II people are having issues with it and i dont want to spend all my money ( about $600) on just a head if its not very realiable so what are your opinions on this

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I would go with the GK... But thats just me.... I have a 1001RB II and a friend of mine has a 700RB II and niether of us has ever had an issue with them....

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. GuitarFreak1092

GuitarFreak1092

Jan 17, 2012
    thanks for the reply do you think the 1001rb sounds better in your opinion than the 700rb or is it just louder im pretty new to playing bass as well so i dont know if 1000watts would be overkill in my situation or if 300watts wouldnt be enough

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    People having issues with 700RB II? I've read tons of reviews on pretty much all GK gear, and came to quite the opposite conclusion - RB series are total work horses. Never had problems with mine. The only problem I've ever seen is that you have to clean the jacks and pots when they gunk up. Never did that myself yet.

As for the power, that depends. 700RB II is very loud, and with its lower wattage, you get the GK growl easier, while 1001RB has more clean headroom, and you have to get really dang loud to get that growl out of it.

You might wanna check out the 212 neo cabinets. The GK 12'' are quiet popular and beloved here. If you wanna go big, go 412. 2 x 212 would be perfect so you can go modular.

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. woofer27

woofer27

Jan 25, 2012
    Raymond, WA
    I used an Eden WT 400 for 7 or 8 years,then bought a GK rb 700- had both amps for 6 years after, When it came time to keep just one, I sold the Eden- the GK just had more of an "open" "musical" sound to me. Never had any issues with either-both used in a pretty loud blues band. We weren't pretty, just loud.

6. What? Never had troubles with G-K myself, 18 years in a repair shop it was the brand I saw the least. Just my experience.

7. GuitarFreak1092

GuitarFreak1092

Jan 17, 2012
    thanks for the replies everyone luckily i just found a guy who is selling a 700RB-II for $350 so im more than likely going to go with that any cheaper cabinet suggestions? ill only have about $250 left to work with after the head purchase

8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    GK and save up for a Neo cab...youll be glad you did.

9. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    an 8 ohm 4x10

$250 isnt likely to get you a 15/6

10. GuitarFreak1092

GuitarFreak1092

Jan 17, 2012
    ok so i went out and tried the eden and it sounds way better than i thought excellent tone its alot warmer IMO than the GK the only downside is ill have to take the eden toa repair guy to get him to open it up and clean up it cause there is a little crackling noise the cab is a hartke 4x10 transporter which i understand is their cheaper line but it didnt sound bad at all and is in great shape the head is also rackmounted so im kinda in an ordeal if i go with the eden ill have everything i need to play gigs but is 300 watts enough power for a rock cover band?we do have pa support i have a gig in tennesse next weekend and more gigs lined up after that if i go with the GK there is no telling when ill be able to get a cabinet so that doesnt really help me with upcoming gigs is there anyone out there who has owned the eden wt-300 who has gigged with it?

SJan3 likes this.
  11. I have an Eden WT-400 and because the Eden sound seems to have quite a bit of low end content I find they don't sound as loud to the ear when compared to the likes of GK. I still much prefer the sound of the Eden to any of the GK's I've had but that's just a matter of opinion. (I love the 800RB!) I also believe that an Eden head is much less picky with cabs and can make a cheaper cab sound better vs GK.

You don't say what the Hartke cab impedance is and I don't know off hand how efficient it is but if it's 4 ohm I think you'll be fine with P.A. support. Without P.A. support you might find it's a little power light for playing rock. If it's an 8 ohm cab that takes the WT-300 power down to 175 WRMS. IMO that 175 W power coupled with the power demanding deep sound of the pre in the WT-300 would leave you wanting more than it can give.

If you find you're diggin the Eden sound, there's awesome deals on their higher powered heads around in the used market. The WT-300 had a reputation for being a great sounding head but lacking the power to really let the sound go. The matching Eden cabs really helped the head out because they were very efficient.

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    OK, I can hardly even read this jumble of run-on sentences and run-together sentences. It hurts my eyes to even try... :rolleyes:

Would it hurt you too much to post with proper capitalization, punctuation - and maybe even a carriage return or two? Is that really too much to ask? :eyebrow:

MM

13. I use a 700RBII with an Ampeg 410HE. I find this a versatile rig that copes well in a 5 piece blues/R&B band at venues without FOH and when D.I'd

14. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Whatever you do get a good return polichy and don't make any decisions until you play it in your band.

15. What he said!!

I love my 700RB-II and Neo 212-II!! Rugged, powerful, distinctive.

16. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    GK 700RBII Love it. Never had a problem with it. I play mine thru a Hartke Hydrive 410. If you look you can find one of those used in the 300-350.00 range.

17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives

Dec 19, 2017
    I'd go with the GK 700rb. I've had mine for almost 4 years and love it. I run it through a Hartke HyDrive 410 and the sound is fantastic. I also run a GK MB 500 through a Hartke HyDrive 210 and I run my bass through a Rolls crossover to two separate pedal chains for the lows (410) and highs (210). I had a Hartke 210 xl series and I did NOT like the sound at all. I'm also not in love with the MB500, though it may suffer just by comparison in sitting in the same rack with its "big brother". I was a bit bummed that I can't use the bi-amp horn option (it only works when you pair the GK head with the GK cabs), but I like the sound of the Hydrives so much that it more than makes up for that. If you really want to be hardcore, you can give the HyDrive a simple rewire and then it will work - I just haven't gotten there yet.
    I think you'll be happy a few years from now when you have the GK head that can power a 410 cab.

18. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I've owned a WT300 but it did not provide enough watts into an 8 ohm cab. My 700rb2 has wonderful power and tone into any cab.

19. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Well, seein' how OP's question was back in 2012, he probably did something by now :). Of course, he never did say which amp he got!

BrentSimons and SwitchGear like this.
  20. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I had the WT400. I don't know now but EDEN used to be able to upgrade the WT300 to 400watts.
    I agree that the EDEN tone is warmer than the GK.
    I had a GK800rb and traded it in for the EDEN WT400. I never regretted it. The EDEN, for me, had a musical complexity and warmth that made the GK sound "clinical" by comparison. IMHO

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018