1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using Markbass combo head to power Ampeg 810?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by my07bass, Aug 11, 2012.

1. my07bass

my07bass

Aug 27, 2008
    I have a Markbass CMD102P (2x10 @ 8 ohms) which I run with a Markbass Traveler 151P (1x15 @ 8ohms) and love this combination.

Here's my situation. I'll be playing a couple of shows where I need to use my Ampeg 810 cab (for esthetics - AC/DC tribute band). I don't have another head right now. Can I use the head from the CMD102P to power it? And can the head be somewhat easily removed from the cab to place it on top of the 810 for the shows? The head is 300w @ 8ohms / 500w @ 4 ohms.

Thanks for the replies.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

8x10 should be a 4ohm cab, a markbass head alone would run it, but since I don't think you can disconnect the speaker from the head in that combo, no, no markbass stuff can handle a 2 ohm load.

3. nitromullet

nitromullet

Mar 29, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I'm pretty sure you can disconnect the speaker from the head in the Markbass combo (it has that velco'ed hatch to provide access to the back of the head), but I think the head itself doesn't have a top plate so the top of the head would be open once it is removed. As far as being able to power the 810, the Markbass head will do it no problem as long as you disconnect the combo speakers first.

4. dont use a heritage or vintage ampeg. Th blue/silver grill cloth will clash with the Markbass.

5. my07bass

my07bass

Aug 27, 2008
    The combo speaker does unplug from the head. Thanks for the replies!

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    A while back this was talked about at length.
    You can easily remove the head from the combo. Its the same amp they sell separately as the LMII or LMIII. They just want you to buy another amp, so they say you void the warranty if you slide it out after loosening the four screws holding it in.
    Part of the top of the amp is exposed. You could cover it with anything. My friend had a little piece of aluminium or steel cut to fit the opening. You could use plastic or even leave it open if you're careful.

7. my07bass

my07bass

Aug 27, 2008
    I tried it out today that sounds great. After I pull the amp out i will cover it up. I believe the cover needs to be there for proper air flow.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't know about airflow, but you need it to keep you from electrocuting yourself accidentally ;)

9. nitromullet

nitromullet

Mar 29, 2012
    Seattle, WA