1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using "Tape Outputs" on mixer to record??

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jacobrownoly, Oct 20, 2013.

1. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Hello, looking for some advice for recording our band live.

I have never done it yet but my plan was to use the "Tape Outputs" on our Mackie desk to the inputs of a Behringer U-control USB device which in turn is recorded on Garage band on my Mac book.

I have tried this with just me messing around on bass and it sounds pretty good :hyper: but with the whole band it could be a different story :rolleyes:

Anyway, I notice that when the track is recording on garage band that it is just one track, now, is there any way that I could get all individual tracks recording for editing purposes afterward i.e bass, kick, snare, vox 1, guitar all having there own tracks??

So, to conclude is this the best way to record our band live through the mixer tape outputs?

Any help and advice will be much appreciated! :help:

Jack :bassist:

2. jaxom

jaxom

Aug 31, 2008
    New Castle, PA
    Not with the "Tape Outs"... I've done that before into a cassette deck. And it sounded pretty good...

3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Not with the hardware you're using. You'll have to get an outboard recording interface if you want to record more than 2 tracks at once. The more inputs a recording interface has, the more expensive they get...

Once the audio signal is combined in a mixer they can't be separated.

4. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Ok, I am willing to spend a little, what could you recommend?

5. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Audiofire make some decent, reasonably priced interfaces.

6. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    So could some one recommend me a certain device in which to record, sorry i dont really know what I am looking for.

Would be nice to get something that can split the tracks up when going into Garage Band.

7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    "recording interface"

type that into the search box at the supplier of your choice web site and you'll get lots from which to choose.

Basically - more channels, more $$$
    More features, more $$$.
    You will need to know if you want USB or FireWire for the computer of your choice.

AudioFire has been suggested.
    I use a 2-channel FocusRite product.
    Those are two manufacturers to get you started.

There seems to be a good selection of 8-channel devices which could be a place to start.

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Use the audiofire interface, directly into your FireWire port, into GarageBand. The interface goes into your inserts or direct outs on your mixer.

9. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    ok thanks, so will this allow me to split my tracks, i.e kick, snare , bass, vox 1, vox 2 ect..

10. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Yes, absolutely.

11. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
  12. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    If you are willing to spend $400.00 then maybe think about selling or trading in your CFX12 and get a Presonus 16.0.2. Way better board with the ability to record. They are selling for $less than a grand right now.

13. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Looking at the Behringer FCA1616 (16 channels)

Now if this is suitable how does this connect to our mixer?

14. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    WHY would it connect to your mixer ?

You record your individual channels.
    You mix them down in the DAW.
    The Recording Interface will have one or more outputs you can feed to monitors if that's your goal.

Mixers are for live sound; recording interfaces are for recording...

15. Does your current mixer have Direct Out for each channel? Or at least Inserts for each channel?

You can always replace your mixer and get a mixer+audio interface like the Mackie Onyxi series.

http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxiseries/

Or the previously mentioned Presonus line.

Host computer will need Firewire port.

The unit can then serve double duty as a mixer for rehearsals+performance and as an audio interface for recording. (Just to record, you don't need the mixer)

16. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Pretty sure he wants to record live at a gig - see first post.

17. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    M'kay - that wasn't clear to me but it makes sense.

So - if it hasn't been answered before (I didn't re-read the whole thread...) many of the recording interfaces I looked at have a corresponding output on each input channel.

Code:
    So - inputs (mics, instruments, whatever) => Interface => mixer
                                                       |
                                                       V
                                                    computer

18. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Dec 8, 2009
    Seriously, get a presonus board. You can use it live with all its on board processing and still record every channel. It feels pretty much like a regular analogue board.

19. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    I just bought a used Zoom R16. Worth a look for under $300. You can record 8 tracks at the same time and then import them into Garage Band later. That's what I do.

20. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    ok, how would this connect up to the mixer?