1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

V3 Rumble reliability data

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CallMeAl, Dec 13, 2019.

1. No problems

136 vote(s)
    76.4%
  2. Had a problem, replacement works fine

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Had a problem, didn’t try another

13 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Had problems with multiple units

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. I have problems growing carrots

18 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’m conducting a little study for the Rumble club on v3 Rumble reliability and longevity. I’d appreciate input from owners of these combos, heads and cabinets.

who has or has not had a problem with a v3 Rumble? Please tell us what you have, when you got it, and the details of your failure and repair/replacement journey.

this thread is about mechanical and electrical issues and failure; “I didn’t like the tone” doesn’t count ;)

thanks everyone!

Miles_ONeal, Giffro and GonePlaid like this.
  2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I own 2 100 combos. I bought both used, one in 2017, one this year. I have not had any issues with either, apart from replacing rubber feet that were missing on arrival. Oh, and one “Fender” logo broke off. :roflmao:

the one I got in 2017 has played about 3-4 gigs/month

jmhaslip, Giffro and GonePlaid like this.
  3. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Got my 200c in November 2015. No problems.:thumbsup:

4. Rumble 500 Combo purchased in August 2016. Mid September of this year I started experiencing the problem noted in this thread:

New Fender Rumble 500 Combo Crapping Out?

Problem was intermittent got progressively worse and it was clear something in the amp was shot. I didn't bother with exploring repair options as I didn't want the hassle and per the thread there didn't seem to be a lot of success anyhow, so instead I modified the combo to be just a cab (see here: Fender Rumble Club).

This is the only time in over 30 years playing that I've ever had a piece of gear fail without any help from me. So, my perception of the Rumble reliability is low and I wouldn't consider purchasing again.

Giffro and alanloomis1980 like this.
  5. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Thanks! I know people rave about these combos, and I haven’t had any issues myself. but I’ve definitely read threads like the one above noting problems.

it was this thread on problems with some 100s (particularly a comment that “Rumbles are disposable”) that got me thinking: how common are problems with the v3’s?

Giffro likes this.
  6. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Giffro and alanloomis1980 like this.
  7. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I had an issue with the input jack. 500H. If it’s under warrenty, they replace the entire board. Mine was not covered, so I was SOL.
    Everywhere I looked, I was told that it’s impossible to get a replacement jack. It’s been OK since with a different cable.
    I’ve owned it since early 2017.

Giffro, GonePlaid and alanloomis1980 like this.
  8. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    No sweat! I thought I’d open it up to the whole TB community in hopes of getting more input. A Rumble club poll would be padded with mostly favorable reports; just trying to be scientific here! ;)

Giffro, GonePlaid and G-Dog like this.
  9. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Oops, just noticed this is in bass guitar. I’m sure it’ll get moved soon enough. Mods!

GonePlaid likes this.
  10. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I guess I should’ve had a poll option for “problem was corrected/repaired.” D’oh! :sour:

GonePlaid and Inky13 like this.
  11. Bottom Octave

Bottom Octave

Dec 12, 2014
    none
    My 100 v3 is a 2014 model, so 5 years old, and I've had no problem at all with it.

12. Rum100 v3. 3 years regular gigs. No problem. (Shhhhhh!).

GonePlaid, alanloomis1980 and Giffro like this.
  13. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    Not sure how long I have had mine. I have a 500 and a 40. Both are used at home only. The only issue I had was when I hadn’t used the 500 for a while the main level pot was scratchy. A little contact cleaner spray and it has been fine since.

14. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I had an issue with my first Rumble v3 500 combo, purchased new in 2014. It was intermittent, so at first I didn't worry about it too much, but eventually it got worse, I took it to an authorized repair shop (they couldn't fix it) then contacted Fender and got a replacement.

The issue was a low volume scratching sound, like a bad connection. The sound was unaffected by any of the controls on the amp and could happen even with no bass plugged into it. Much of the story can be found in the Rumble Club if one searches my user name there.

My replacement works great and has served me well for 3+ years. However, I don't use it as much anymore except for band rehearsals.

15. I have a 500 combo. Bought it new in September 2017. Still works and looks like new. Most of the time it resides in my home studio, which is free of smoke, drinks, cats, kids, etc. (most of the time). I've practice every day with it, and our band's bassist plays with it every weekend. I've gigged with it 3 or 4 times, I've used the DI output for recording, I've played guitars, mics and synths through it, plugged a switch pedal (for the overdrive), plugged an external 15" speaker. Everything works.

And I do like the tone.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  16. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    i have and use regularly a first issue rumble 350...have never had 1 issue ever...and now ...im regretting this post and knocking on trees!!!

17. Blue Dragon

Blue Dragon

Jan 4, 2016
    500 combo from 2016. Never a complaint. I think I've probably gigged with it roughly 12 times since then. Weekly rehearsals. Workhorse with no problems whatsoever. I keep thinking of adding an extension, but I never do even with the eardrum-shattering volumes we play at. (another thread for that). I've never been more happy with an amplifier. Ever. If it's not the last amplifier I will ever own, I will be surprised.

18. I bought a used Rumble 500 head with a used Rumble 410 and 115 cabinet Oct. 2016 that I used heavily (40ish gigs) for about a year and a half with no issues. Early 2018 got rid of the head and 410, and got a new 500 combo I still sometimes use the 115 with, which I am currently using when I use an amp. I personally think for light, loud, reliable and not too expensive you absolutely cannot beat Fender Rumble gear.

19. LAST_C

LAST_C Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Florida
    I have one 25W for practicing at home and a 100W for church and small gigs.

No problems so far (Both have been with me for over a year)

On the little one thou, you can still hear the "pop" when you plug in a bass even with the volume at 0, but its no bug deal to me.

20. amoodymule

amoodymule

May 25, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Thankfully no issues with both my 40c and 200c, both gigged and rehearsed for well over a years time :D

I DO get to gig tonight, at a small bar, it's changing owners, and they wanna ROCK!

...and ROCK they will receive, playing my new/old Fender PJ 90 into the 200c,

looking forward to that, it sounds so good at rehearsal :bassist:

IMG_0532.JPG

Attached Files:

alanloomis1980 and Giffro like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021