van zalinge z bass

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by brunobass, Feb 14, 2005.

1. brunobass

brunobass Supporting Member

May 30, 2002
    does anyone know what the current value of these eub's are.
    i think only 200 or so were made and i'm considering selling mine.
    this is the eub sting played with the police- i've seen his in person and mine is the exact same instrument.
  2. heyspacecowboy

Mar 10, 2005
  3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    I tried an electric upright today in a music store. It was basically a DB with no real body. I find a lot of electric double basses dont have the feel of a double bass but this did. It was also a reasonable price.
    has anyone heard of Z basses? ( i did a search but the letter Z doesnt work because it is only one letter)
    thanks for the help
  4. I think it's made by a guy named Zalinge or Van Zalinge, from The Netherlands. You can probably find something on Bob Gollihur's site. There weren't many of these made, I believe, & I'm sure they were quite expensive at the time(80s).
  5. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    There was one for sale on ebay yesterday--search under "electric upright bass." The price was pretty reasonable, and the pictures were good--quite an abnormal-looking EUB!
  6. mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    These basses were known as Van Zalinge in Europe and Z basses in the US. 265 were made ca 1979-1982, by Dutch bassist Henk Van Zalinge. They are hollowbody and have a Polytone pickup (at least some). Best known user is Sting, but even the mighty NHOP endorsed it, although I doubt he ever used it onstage.

7. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Speaking of NHOP, is it true that he has recorded with EUB? I heard/read that somewhere......Years ago there was a solo bass piece on a live Oscar Peterson album I was listening to. The piece was called "Future Child" and was very EUBish. Also, I have a Phillip Catherine/NHOP album that used digital effects on the DB, again, very EUBish. Monster muscian NHOP is!
  8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Don't know if NHOP recorded with an EUB, but he's known to use a magnetic pickup, which makes him sound quite fretless-like.
    I have a DVD here, where he plays with the Kenny Drew Trio (At the Brewhouse), and he uses that.
    Seems the poles are incorporated into the FB. (or is it a Biesele, which has a similar look?)
    It isn't a Pierre Joseph string charger though!
  9. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Hate to sound like a fool here, but who is NHOP?
  10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Nekoosa House Of Pancakes?....
    Nah, it's Neils Henning Orsted Pedersen. Bit of a bassist.
  11. mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    NHOP has an old Danish Elkit magnetic pickup with the poles installed in the fingerboard. The brand is discontinued, but the concept lives in the StringAmp violin pickup

12. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    what would you expect to pay for a used one? The one i tried was 1400 CDN or about 1200 US. Would this be standard used price for these? the Sting one that was/is on ebay was about 1000 when i looked at it, so this price seems reasonable.
    thanks for the help
    Why were so few of them made also?
  13. mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    IMO, these basses are quite good. I usually avoid giving appraisals, but USD 1,000-1,200 sounds quite reasonable.

The fact that 265 were made makes the Z Bass one of the bigger sellers. EUBs are very much still a matter for players on a local market level. The EUBs that have appeared in four figure numbers are very few: the original Ampeg Baby Bass, the Framus Triumph, the total of NS Design basses (methinks), the Clevingers too. I don´t think the Azolas have hit the thousands yet. There are probably fewer Merchant Vertical Basses or Knutson Messengers around than there are Z Basses. (Most of the latter can be found in Europe, though.)

14. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    why did he stop building in 82?
  15. mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I suspect that the Z Bass venture wasn´t profitable enough. Henk Van Zalinge retired and moved to the South of France. I don´t know if he´s still with us, anyway he must be at least in his 70s.
  16. heyspacecowboy

Mar 10, 2005
    hi - i just want to let you know that the z bass which was on auction in ebay did not just have a reasonable price of usd 1000,--. this was
    the starting bid which does not mean that it was sold for that price.
    the z bass is a very rare and desireable instrument which - in case your are lucky enough to find one to buy - has its price. the z bass is a real collectors musical instrument.
  17. ylano

Jun 18, 2005
    i am in the same state (thought living in france). I've a van zalige too
    a black one and i'm wondering what could be its value ?
    I do'nt use it anymore and i'm thinking about selling it.
    I bought mine ten years before for about 1500 $
  18. heyspacecowboy

Mar 10, 2005
    do you have photos of your bass. i never saw it in black.
    my email address is
    thks x brgds
  19. BUCA

Sep 21, 2005
    Henk van Zalinge is still around but almost in it's 80s. He produces acoustic double basses during his retirement (which he always did since the 1970's, btw)
    BUCA sold, and produced, the basses worldwide. There are around 250 made, but 50 made by the master himself and 200 factory made.
    The hand-made are the goodies, they were all tailor made for such players as NHOP or Stan Clarke or George Mraz. Sting, actually, has two basses, which he still uses to the present day.
  20. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005

I recently bought one for $ 3500,=.
    I live in Europe.
    As far as I know there were about 800 made. Whatever is true there's only a limited number made by Van Zalinge.
    Sting played one.

With kind regards, Whoopy.