1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vantage Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smcfarland1337, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Yowser! Very nice!

2. bonz - darrell

bonz - darrell Previously known as: darrellj

Jun 5, 2012
    Sidney, BC, Canada
    Here's mine:
    The one on the right is a 1980 (?). I'm not clear on the model number.
    The one on the left is a 1983 V695B fretless.

I bought the fretted one first -- was just about to pull the pin on a new Kramer (fast neck, and light) when I saw this Vantage sitting beside the cash register. They wanted $175 and it came with a Vantage brand fitted case. I picked it up and loved the neck -- fast like the Kramer, but wow! is it heavy. Didn't buy the Kramer...

A few weeks later I spotted an ad for a fretless Vantage. I went and bought it too! Same fast neck, no frets and significantly lighter. Now I rarely play the fretted one, I just love the fretless.

As you can see the tail stock differs in both, as well as the tuners (the 83 model has Vantage logo tuners), and knobs (the 80 model has cool pointers and light colour knobs). The head stock is the same shape, but the logo is different on each...

If anyone can help me pin-point the model of the 1980, I would appreciate it...

Attached Files:

S-Bigbottom and Abner like this.
  3. dekamac

dekamac

Jul 17, 2013
    HiI've just discovered this site
    Can anyone give me some info on my bass if I can figure out how to upload a photo :bassist::help:
    Cheers

4. I found a cool fretless Vantage Avenger at a pawn shop the other day, and I couldn't find any info about it so I went back today and grabbed it (I'm a sucker for obscure instruments.) I'm pretty sure this is a Matsumoku-made bass from 1984. The pickups are probably aftermarket replacements, marked "Select designed by EMG." The paint on the body is pretty hammered and I needed to extract a broken screw in the headstock from the G string's tuner, but it seems like a nice bass.

Here are some as-found pics:

IMG_20141121_182852.

IMG_20141121_182933.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  5. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    I got my bass some time in spring this year, it's a VS600B. I found it online, cost me 40 bucks. They said it needed restoration, so I went, bought it and had it restored.

20141128_232420[2].

As the original bridge wasn't on it anymore, replaced by a random fender-style standard brigde, it was restored with a piece of wood. There used to be a Gibson-style 3-point-bridge on it. Then a Schaller 3D brigde was installed, along with new pickups (Seymour Duncan SPB-4). 20141128_232350[1].

The body was grinded and re-finished with new paint, and I love the natural look of the wood!

After having it adjusted by a professional, I was really happy to hold this baby in my hands, played really smooth with an awesome sound from the start. Restoration really paid out!
    It is now my primary bass, I love the whole neck and all, really great playability for people with big hands.

In the end the bass cost me around 450 €, but it's definitely worth it! And 450 is not much for a good instrument!

Abner likes this.
  6. Nice end result Dave!

7. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    I had one just like yours(OP). It was my second bass and I giged with it a lot, fantastic sounding/looking instrument.
    Japanese made 32" scale I believe. I used it until the neck twisted on me, I unloaded it and bought a Ric. I do miss it and would
    love to own another one day.
    As far as production, I believe these basses debuted around 1980ish, not sure exactly but I am sure they weren't around before
    the late 70's...certainly weren't around in '67.

Enjoy your Vantage, they are extremely cool;)

8. One more thing to add to this - I found what looks like a date stamp under the pickup foam, stamped directly on the bare wood:

IMG_20141126_185133-1.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Paragon3 likes this.
  9. A very good friend of mine let me use a Vantage fretless in the late 80's played like a charm and sounded even better. Wish I bought her off of him, had the chance but raising a couple of youngens' at the time money was scarce. Still looking for one though and if I find one I'll nab her in a flash.

10. jbarn

jbarn

Nov 19, 2014
    Colorado
    I had a translucent blue Avenger (I think) that I bought in '82. It had a maple neck with a nice feel and sounded ok - looked like the pic attached. I sold it when I got my 4001... seemed like a good idea at the time. If anyone has one they're looking to sell, hmu. download.

11. Bigbennybass

Bigbennybass

Feb 18, 2015
    Hey guys just picked up an 1980 model VP700B for very cheap, need to replace or find a bridge for it and will need some electrical work etc.... Should i restore it back to original, are they worth anything? On the other hand I was thinking about de fretting it, upgrading the pickups / electronics, sanding back and restoring the body. Any thoughts?

12. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    That might depend on who you talk to, or the individual bass in question. If it has the original pickups, I wouldn't bother spending money on any "upgrades", they should be pretty much DiMarzio clones. (Well, unless you're not a fan of DiMarzio, then...)

I'd probably spend as little as possible just to get into playable condition first, then make the decision to spend more time and money on it depending on whether you like it or not.

Matsumoku made some excellent instruments, but my only experience with them (since the early '80s anyway) is with the top-of-the-line VA900B neck-thrus. I will say that neither of them (I have both a factory fretless and a fretted) will be going anywhere anytime soon.

Keep us posted on any progress.

-Alex

13. AsturHero

AsturHero

Mar 7, 2015
    Here my newest restauration Object from MIJ BAsses:
    an Vantage Avenger 325B 4-String from 1983.
    It was in a heavy worn condition and the originally red transtint Poly-clear-Coat was very scratchy, with a lot of broken out chips etc., so i have decided to restaurate her to the very rare Walnut Open Pore Version.
    The only two things that are not original are the thumbrest (attached from the pre-preowner) and a new jack socket.
    all other electronics, tuners, screws etc. are all original:

b688strn.

dn2cub2q.

yizh2ain.

j2szjtgf.

f3mhlr3l.

cguo9dsm.

lyc3hci5.

mbwe5f2q.

ljtim2gj.

mgb36wby.

5swoqycy.

gosby5nn.

ueypaxis.

ebujgxd9.

r2i88yae.

lcjmnqxw.

erxqpgxx.

3czvxty6.

i5qjrfqh.

greets
    AsturHero

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    jbarn, Abner, Immigrant and 1 other person like this.
  14. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany

I don't like the headstock (similar to some Ibanez models), but I sure do love the work! Beautiful piece you have there!

AsturHero likes this.
  15. AsturHero

AsturHero

Mar 7, 2015
    yes ty, the Headstock is sort of kind: hate it or love it..there are no in between ;) i like the razorblade style..it gives the bass the last Vintage style and 7ender or similar styles theres enough in the world :D

DavetheDude likes this.
  16. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Never been a big fan of the Avenger style, but you did a great job on this one. Certainly the nicest Avenger I've ever seen.

-Alex

AsturHero likes this.
  17. Weet

Weet

Jun 30, 2015
    Victoria Canada
    I am the original owner of a 1981 fretless VS600B - the bottom of the barrel at the time, I guess. I have yet to find another bass in its price range that comes close to it. It weighs a ton, but boy does it sound good. You should be able to get the age of your Vantage by looking at the serial number. There should be a metal plate on the back with a series of numbers . .
    Mine is 1080814, with the last 3 digits being the year (81) and month (April) it was made. Vantage VS600B fretless.

Abner likes this.
  18. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    The one on the right looks somewhat like a VS-600B, but not sure what separates some of the models from another.

Vantage Guitars - VS-600B 'Witch Bass'...

Will have to try and get my VA-900B reassembled this summer and post some pics of the pair (fretted and fretless). :)

Looks nice. Bottom of the barrel or not, I think they used very nice pieces of rosewood for these boards. Are those Fender or D'Addario tapewounds? I currently have some LaBella black tapes on my fretless and just love the tone.

19. Weet

Weet

Jun 30, 2015
    Victoria Canada
    I have the D'Addario strings; it now sounds like Eberhard Webber's weirdo electric bass. Managed to get it autographed by Tony Levin on the back at a King Crimson music camp ! !

20. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I have a Vantage acoustic guitar, and I love it. Got it for $99 new! It's a very well built instrument!